Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I take 310 mg Percocets for my severe back pain but I’m also…

Customer Question
I take 310 mg...

I take 310 mg Percocets for my severe back pain but I’m also prescribed Xanax for my anxiety how long in between the Percocets should I take the Xanax I know you’re not supposed to mix the two

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I have degenerative disc disease in my back and I am not a candidate for surgery and I also have problems with anxiety but my new doctor wants me to see a psychiatrist and I don’t want to do that cannot can’t he just prescribed them for me I mean the Xanax

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

No not really just your typical normal chaos it goes on all of her horses

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mental Health
1/11/2018
Mental Health Professional: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Josie-Mod
Hi:
I'm Josie and I’m a moderator for this topic. It looks like your question may have been meant for a different company, possibly one that can provide a prescription.
We, JustAnswer, match people with questions to Experts with answers in areas like Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Financial, Legal, Home Improvement and more.
Oftentimes, the Experts can help with a question like yours or I would be happy to try to assist you in finding the web address of the company you are looking for if you can confirm that for me.
Please let me know if you want to continue or cancel your question and I'm happy to further assist you.
Thank you,
Josie~Moderator
I️ picked out a physiatrist
So now, I️ can’t get an answer
Just wanted her or him to let me know that it’s ok to continue with my Xanax
Mental Health Professional: Josie-Mod,
 replied 4 months ago
Thank you for your response.
You're question is open to all Experts.
I️ need an answer ASAP
TY patty
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe that I can help you query .
Please kindly confirm this how many times a day do you take , the exact timings and also mention the dose and timings of intake of xanax ?
I will get back to you with the answer.
Regards
take my 10 mil Percocet @
6 am
1 pm & 8 pm
I take my 2 mil Xanax @ 5pm & one @
11:30 pm...
need pain meds bc of degenerative disc disease plus arthritis.
Need my Xanax for anxiety, being overwhelmed & sleep.
Ty patty
My insurance is Medicaid & Medicare which the state pays for bc i am indigent
Would love to talk to you but can’t afford it

Thanks for the inputs.

Well, you see percocet ( opiate ) and xanax ( benzodiazepine ) on one hand can be effective against pain as well as anxiety but this combination has a disadvantage in having a high propensity towards addiction which may lead to overdose which eventually can be life threatening as they together at higher doses or in case of overdoses can cause respiratory distress, unconsciousness and even coma.

So while at the moment you are taking moderate to high doses of either of the two drugs i would strongly suggest that you never take them together and secondly take xanax 1 mg morning at 10 am , 1 mg at 5 pm and 1 mg at 11.30, because it functions better in 3 divided doses and you need to keep at least 3 and half hour gap between the doses of xanax and percocet so in this regard the morning dose of percocet stays put at 6 am, the afternoon dose shall shift to 1.30 pm and the night time dose stays at 8 pm.

Lastly, xanax use should be restricted and it should be withdrawn within 10-12 weeks duration because of the tendency of this drug to cause addiction, so if you are using it for anxiety then i would recommend that you ask your doctor to use a long acting and relatively lesser addictive ssri category drug like lexapro at dose of 10-20 mg / day once a day or zoloft at dose of 25-50 mg / day once a day which will not only manage the anxiety better but also will be much safer to use with percocet.

I hope this makes sense.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist