Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My son is clinically depressed and been on Prozac for about…

Customer Question
Hi my son is...

Hi my son is clinically depressed and been on Prozac for about weeks and is gong downhill. he is 27 , has attempted suicide twice since thoughts around age 12, past puberty he says. CMHS has dropped the ball and it is aggravating to me, his mother. I am looking into ketamine therapy for him and looking for a research program as he is unemployed and fast losing interest. he needs serious help.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

He has had one appointment with CMHS psychologist in November after contacting them and seeking help for suicidal thoughts he deals with daily.

Doctor's Assistant: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?

My son has these thoughts for 15 years and attempted twice prior

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

His father killed himself a year and months ago and he just had a baby he is denied to see on december 8

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mental Health
1/11/2018
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 1 month ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is ***** ***** I am so sorry to hear about your son, as well as his father. I appreciate you are trying to think through novel ways to get him the care and healing he needs. At this point, given the severity of his symptoms, his lack of reliable treatment, and personal and family history, I think your son needs to be taken to a psychiatric emergency room for more immediate evaluation and possible admission for intensive assessment and support. Going to your closest major medical/academic health center (larger hospitals that have medical school and research programs) may up the chances that there are opportunities for studies or novel treatments so may be worth a drive if not in your immediate vicinity. Even so, while things like Ketamine therapy may ultimately have potential, there are likely treatments in place that can help decrease his symptoms with an immediate goal of keeping him safe. Obviously, his immediate safety is the number one concern here so I would advise you not delay looking for studies which may or may not exist currently, and instead, focus on getting him help today.

I am certain this very, very hard on you and on him and I know my answer sounds a bit intimidating. Certainly, covering your bases for options is a good approach but that may need to take a back seat to helping him aggressively today.

I am here to chat more if you'd like,

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker