Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am off my meds for about 3 month now was diagnosed bipolar…

Customer Question
I am off my...

I am off my meds for about 3 month now was diagnosed bipolar with mild sckitfrenia and don't want to have to go back to a hospital to get back on my meds they always want to try several different drugs that have worse side effect than thorazine has

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

I cant fall asleep till 2 or three in the morning and back up around 7 am or earlier

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Heve been hospitalized involintarly several times and get agitated over small questions someone might ask me

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mental Health
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i also think about doing stuff i know i should do i havnt acted on them but they make me nervis
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
should not do
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Help via Email or Text or Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/8/2018
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings
Welcome to the site.
You see with underlying disorder of schizo- bipolar disorder ( combination of Bipolar and Schizophrenia ) , sleep disturbance especially insomnia is indicative of worsening of symptoms or beginning of symptoms if they have been absent for a while. It is quite possible that since you have not been taking any medications since last 3 months so now the symptoms have begun to show in the form of insomnia and later other symtpoms may follow , this is quite typical of bipolar disorder where sleep is usually thing that gets affected.
So please confirm this - is it only sleep that is causing you disturbance or are there other symptoms as well ?
I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.
Regards
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Along wit not sleeping I have been getting very agitated about little things
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess what I am trying to figure out is how to get back on my meds without going to a hospital
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was taking 400 mil of Thorazine a day
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Except it not called that anymore chromazine is what it called now I think I spelled it right
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have tried several other med over the years but found Thorazine to have the least side affects and for some reason I am more willing to take my meds without being forced or reminded to do so
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don’t know if this matters when I finally do fall asleep I am waking up. In a wet be two or three nights a week
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did consult my family doctor about it said it’s not physical after he ran some test advised me to wear diapers at night until it passes

Thanks for the inputs.

Well, i can understand that you do not want to go to hospital so it will be for your own good that you start taking seroquel at dose of 25 mg at night for one week first and then up the dose to 50 mg at night and then further up the dose to 100 mg after 10 days of taking 50 mg dose.

In addition to this add a mood stabilizer like depakote 250 mg once a day. Preferably take depakote with seroquel at night only.

Kindly discuss these two drugs with your doctor and start on them so this will take care of your insomnia as well as your mood will stabilize and temperamental swings will be managed too.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

May I please request you to kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have finally been able to get an appointment with the doctor for this week coming up I have tried some of the second generation drugs for bypolor disorder with worse side effects than Thorazine would it be better to go back on Thorazine than the 2 Nd generation drugs considering that the few side effects I got from Thorazine subsided after a week or two as they increased the dosage to the 400 mg a day level the only thing I didn’t like about it was once they had me on it I wasn’t getting off of it until the doctor said I could because of withdrawal effects so to get off it ment two or three week in the hospital again being monitored knowing that if any symptoms presented I would be put back on full strength dosage again and not allowed off of it
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Because I have had so many court ordered evaluations
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist