Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Can you advise on what tests one must go through to diagnose…

Customer Question
Hello, can you advise...

Hello, can you advise on what tests one must go through to diagnose Schizophrenia?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

It is for my brother... he has seen a doctor and he is currently on Paliperidone Palmitate (Injection) 100 mg, Escitalopram 10 mg, and Benztropine 2 mg.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Not really, dad suffered from Depression.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

2 weeks, and saw a doctor already... just want a second opinion.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/7/2018
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a Psychiatrist and i believe that i can help you with your query.

Well, you see diagnosis of Schizophrenia is mainly clinical based meaning that there is DSM - 5 CRITERIA which if the person's signs and symptoms fulfill then the person can be diagnosed with Schizophrenia. The DSM - 5 which stands for Diagnostic Statistical Manual - 5th edition is a benchmark and most reliable method to diagnose the condition of schizophrenia and the psychiatrist who had interviewed your brother must have applied this Criteria and hence used this diagnosis. Also it must be taken into account that schizophrenia symptoms and signs are florid and polymorphic and ever changing thereby making the treatment a bit difficult as one has to keep a regular tap on the symptoms and change the treatment as per the change in symptoms.

There are other tests such as MRI scan brain and urine dopamine levels ( high in schizophrenia ) which can be carried out but are mostly relative tests as they can support the clinical findings of the psychiatrist and are definite indicators of schizophrenia meaning that merely on the basis of these two tests one cannot diagnose schizophrenia but if the symptoms and signs of schizophrenia are there then these two tests can help the diagnosis.

I hope this makes sense.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards