Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

If I’m having trouble sleeping at night and unable to

concentrate not to mention feeling...
If I’m having trouble sleeping at night and unable to concentrate not to mention feeling constantly sad and unable to eat, what could I be suffering from?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/6/2018
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello, my name is***** are several things that could be causing this. If I were you I would schedule a complete physical with my pcp. If they do t discover anything, I would then consider talking to a therapist. Honestly, it sounds like depression. Does that make sense to you?
It does. I’m currently in Advance Induvidual Training for the army, and I’m just in awful mental healt right now. Im speaking with the therapist soon and I just wanted an idea of what was wrong with me before I go see them.
Well, tell me what is going on in your life. What led to you enlistment. Why do you think you are depressed?
I enlisted because I wanted to do something meaningful with my life but early into basic training I started feeling like I was alone, worthless, and useless. I just kept telling myself that it was just part of basic and that when I get to AIT it’s going to be so much better. Then I got to AIT and everything just got worse. I started being unable to sleep, eat, and pay attention in class. I was losing motivation and it became a struggle just to get out of bed in the morning. I then started to tell myself that I’m just really home sick and that when I went on HBL it was going to be my time to relax and get ready to finish AIT and move to my duty station. Well on HBL all of the issues just continued and it started taking a toll on my family. Well I was opening my Christmas presents my mom was just looked at me smiling and waiting to see my face light up when I opened my presents but instead I felt no happiness. The whole HBL I didn’t feel happy at all. It even was so bad that my girlfriend and I tried having sex but I was unable to get aroused. Then when I return from HBL on the first night I just started panicking and got furious and started throwing things in my room and ended up crying uncontrollably for hours. It’s just awful living like this. So now I’m trying to go through the proper channels and get out.
Getting out may not be the answer. I really tho k you need to speak to a doctor. You need to have your thyroid checked out. Check your blood sugar and your hormone levels. It could very well be related to an issue stemming from one of these areas. It’s wirth checking out any way.
I just think it’s in my best interest to get out. I never had any of these issues prior to joining.
Oh, it could be related. I spent size years in and hated w dry minute of it. I couldn’t get out quick enough.
Respectfully, ***** *****’t me just trying to get out. I genuinely feel as tho this major transition in my life has caused me to have some form a mental illness and I do not with to go down this path and have it lead to me doing something to harm myself. I’m just worried that the therapist will accuse me of faking it and not discharge me.
They should put you through several tests that are rather full proof. I have not known anybody to be forced to remain in I current history.
What kind of test would they run?
I would think they would run a full psychological assessment. It is nothing to worry about. It would just let you know what is going on and what steps you need to take to resolve it.
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)