Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I've been with my boyfriend for about a year and a half now.

Hi, I've been with...

Hi, I've been with my boyfriend for about a year and a half now. We are finally going to therapy on Monday to see if we can get a diagnosis for him, but I was curious as to what it may be leaning towards.

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

I've been feeling pretty down, but my sleep schedule is as usual. I have some notes I have been taking on him.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

In mine, no. This is more so about my boyfriend.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I attached a file that describes some of what he does/goes through. This is mainly the problem. We go through this almost everyday, but for months the anger seemed to be a bit better. He never asked me to leave. He would take some time and then come back and apologize most of the time.
1/5/2018
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer with your concerns. I have read your attachment, thank you, ***** ***** really helpful. It is of course impossible for professional to diagnose an individual without face to face session and collection of information sometimes over several sessions. For that reason it is excellent that you both are going to see a therapist next week in person. That being said I am going to give you some information to think about. Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED) is a behavioral disorder characterized by explosive outbursts of anger to the point of rage, that are disproportionate to the situation. Your description fits this disorder and could be a strong possibility. In addition, Intermittent Explosive Disorder is most often diagnosed with depressive disorders, substance use disorders and post traumatic stress syndrome. Personality disorders, such as borderline personality disorder and antisocial disorder may also exist with Intermittent Explosive Disorder (American Psychiatric Association, 2013). I hope this information is helpful to you. I look forward to your thoughts. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! That would be all. Any tips for me being the partner of someone with these things?

Yes. You will want to become comfortable with setting healthy boundaries with him of how he can express his anger with you. His anger is not the problem, it is how he is choosing to deal with and express his anger. You can be supportive as he is learning with the therapist how to regulate his emotions, but it is also important both for your well being and self respect and his growth and wellness that he knows that you will not accept unacceptable behavior. You will not react, you may leave the room or even leave the house if he has a burst of anger. There is an excellent book called Boundaries and Relationships by Charles Whitfield. It will help you both to have a healthier relationship. I hope this has been helpful. Please let me know if I can help you further now or in the future. I wish you both all the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

PS. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it. Thank you.

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC