Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I take 30mg Oxazipam (Serapaz) for panic disorder. My

doctors are away because of...
I take 30mg Oxazipam (Serapaz) for panic disorder. My doctors are away because of Christmas and my attacks have been strong. I have found Lorazipam (1mg=15mg Serapax or 2mg =Serapax) to be unsuitable. I was prescribed Xanax (Alprazolam) once and found it to be useful but too strong in the dose I was given at the time. (It was a long time ago and I forget the dose). What dose of Xanax would be the equivalent to 30mg Oxazipam? (Serapax),
With thank's
Michael
1/5/2018
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
How do you take 30 mg oxazepam -- do you take all at one time or in two divided doses ?
What dosage tablets of xanax are you having with you ?
On a scale of 0-10 ( if zero accounts for no panic / anxiety and 10 for extreme degree of Anxiety) at what level would you rate your anxiety at the moment ?
I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.
Regards
Dear Dr Kaushik,
To answer you question, I take 15mg Oxazipam morning and 30mg at night. I am stable on this. Christmas has been a terrible time for me - I get very isolated and lonely, not having a family. When my Dr comes back, I will take major steps to change my circumstances. If the panic attacks are bad during the day, I might take 30 in the morning and 30 at night. 15mg for mild attacks and 30 for more serious ones are the norm. Tolerence is an ever present problem and must be accounted for. Sometimes I "slip" and take an extra 30 mg late at night but all that does is put me to sleep so I don't often bother doing that. At the moment, it is late at night and I am calmly watching tv, having had my evening 30mg tablet at about 7.00pm. I am peaceful and calm. Thank you for you interest and help. Some months ago, I ran out of oxazipam and took Xanax in too high a dose. I was under the mistaken impression that Xanax was much milder than oxazipam, which was a huge mistake - I got sick. That is the reason I am asking you today about what is the equivalent dose of Xanax compared to 30 mg Oxazipam.
Michael
Thanks for the inputs.Well, a xanax dose of 1 mg shall equate for 30 mg oxazepam dose , however for xanax to provide maximum benefits against panic attacks/ anxiety , it should be taken there times a day that is morning, afternoon and night.
So for mild degree of anxiety/ panic attacks, take 0.25 mg for each in morning and afternoon and 0.5 mg at night.For moderate to severe anxiety / panic take 0.5 mg each morning and afternoon and 1 mg at night.I hope this is understood, please make sure that you keep your prescribing doctor well informed about this.Hopefully this will take care of your anxety effectively.Wish you all the best.Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist