Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I’m a 19 year old kid who has really bad anxiety when it…

Customer Question
I’m a 19 year old...
I’m a 19 year old kid who has really bad anxiety when it comes to driving and other stuff , can’t even shake a hand without my hands getting super sweaty ... I work for a hospital and make good money (19 an hour) I know it’s not what I’m going to be doing for long ( I’m close to getting a City Job) but I’m not sure I want a city job. I dropped out and got a GED ... was never good in school. But I can’t help but think that my younger self would be ashamed if I just took the easy way towards making good money by doing a city job in a few years. I feel like I always wanted to be someone I’d be proud to tell other people about. I want to go to college but my math is so bad I fear I won’t be smart enough to do it. ( Don’t even know my times tables ) I’m not sure if I’m dumb or just lazy but so much is on my mind that I just need to vent.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mental Health
1/4/2018
Mental Health Professional: TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist replied 7 months ago
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem.

It sounds like there might be two issues you are dealing with. One, you may have anxiety- possible a generalized anxiety or a specific phobia. You mention that you experience anxiety when you drive and other stuff. Given that you are experiencing anxiety when doing daily activities, it may mean you have an anxiety disorder.

Two, it sounds like you struggle with confidence in yourself. You mentioned that you feel you are not good at school and that you fear you would not be smart enough to go to college. And it sounds like your fears and lack of confidence are keeping you from reaching your dreams.

The first step is to have a full evaluation done by a mental health therapist. Before you can start to address your issues, you need to know what you are dealing with. Just like when you go to the doctor for a symptom you are having, the doctor needs to know what is wrong before they can treat you and help you to feel better. That is the same with symptoms like anxiety and lack of confidence. It helps to have an evaluation so you know what you how to move forward and what treatment might help.

You can also use self help to explore why you feel as you do and what might help. Here are some resources to get you started:

On line links:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/mental-health-anxiety-disorders

Books:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

Support groups:

http://psychcentral.com/resources/Anxiety_and_Panic/Support_Groups/

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Anxiety/support-group

Progressive Muscle Relaxation:

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/pmr.htm

These resources can help you explore what might be going on and also connect you to support so you are not dealing with this alone.

Venting also helps you to feel better. Just telling someone how you are feeling can make you feel less alone and help you to cope. Consider therapy for support and to help you build confidence and experience less anxiety. Even if you only attend short term therapy, it can make a big difference.

I hope this has helped you,

MaryAnn

Hello, I haven't heard back from you. Please let me know if you need any further assistance or clarification.

Thank you,

MaryAnn