Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Kaushik, My sister was on cipralex which made he feel very…

Customer Question
HelloCustomerMy sister was on cipralex...
HelloCustomerMy sister was on cipralex which made he feel very flat and miserable and so she came completely stopped using it with the help of half an urbanol sometimes. Her huge anxiety only worsened and so she has now started on Lexamil x 5mg morning and afternoon, with half Urbanol if she needs it. However, she drinks a lot of white wine every evening - easily a bottle - and I think this contributes to her anxiety and feelings of confusion and inability to focus on anything. Can you tell me if it is safe for her to drink just two glasses a night even? I have suggested she cut right down and as it is habitual, I think she is also going to find this very difficult. I suggested a beer instead, lots of water and max two glasses of white wine....Can you advise me in anyway?
I would appreciate it.
Many thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mental Health
1/3/2018
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
Well, you see her drinking of wine is not only mitigating the positive effects of lexamil and urbanol and preventing her to achieve the desired relief from her anxiety but also it seems like she has become physically dependent on wine as a result of which her focus, clarity of thought process , judgement, al have become inpaired. So yes the wine is the main culprit here and it needs to be stopped otherwise no amount of good medications will ever benefit her despite she taking them judiciously because alcoholic beverages increase the body's tolerance against such psychotropic medications thereby making them ineffective.
So if she come down initially to two glasses of wine well looking at her present situation where she is finishing off one bottle a day , this will be a relative achievement and a good start in the process of recovery.
So now the home work that she and her supporting well-wishers have to do is to keep her off limits as far as wine consumption is concerned , the limit having been set at 2 glasses per day for 2 weeks followed by one glass per day for next two weeks and then a glass in every two days for entire next month and after that only occasional consumption of wine.
Meanwhile she does this the Present drug regime comprising of lexamil 5 mg twice a day and urbanol to be continued as it is.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist