Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I wonder if you can tell me if it's not unusual to be

Customer Question
I wonder if you...

I wonder if you can tell me if it's not unusual to be affected emotionally by the full moon? It seems to have a dramatic affect on my mood.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I see a counselor. I take blood pressure meds and Prozac, also a hormone medication and two vitamins.

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Stressful, but considering I'm almost 73 years ago and live alone and am completely self sufficient, I feel blessed. I pray a lot.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I have a daughter in prison for the 4th time. That doesn't help.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mental Health
1/2/2018
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 7 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Such an interesting question that those of us who work in mental health often discuss.

The lunar theory, otherwise known as the lunar effect, is the idea that there’s some correlation between moon cycles and human behavior.

Many people dismiss myths concerning the influence of the moon, but real effects are being found through science. Interestingly the words

lunacy and lunatic stem from luna, the Latin word for moon. It is believed that people were more likely to show erratic behavior during a full moon.

A publication on the National Criminal Justice Reference Service titled lunar effect - biological tides and human emotions, shows extensive analyses of data on human behavior. Lunar astronomy accurately indicated that the repression of the moon's gravitational influence brings about social tension, disharmony and bizarre results.

Another study looked at data over a five year period from police records in Florida, which showed an increase in cases of homicide and aggravated assault around full moons. Roughly three years ago, another study definitively showed that the moon’s phases affect human sleep.

In most of the sleep studies, research participants were not aware of the moon phase or time cues.

So yes, there is ongoing evidence that we are effected by the full moon, especially those of us that ate more "in tune and sensitive" to environmental influences. I hope this is helpful to you. Please let me know if you have any further questions I can help you with. I wish you many blessings in the New Year! Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Can you recommend a good sleep aid? I have tried Benedryl and Melatonin -my doctor prescribes a limited amount of Lorazepam for anxiety, and that helps me to relax. But I don't get enough of it to take it for both anxiety and sleep, so I usually have to toss a coin. I usually save the Lorazepam for the anxiety attacks because those are tough. But a good night's sleep would really help. I was one of many who lost everything in Katrina and with all the activity this past hurricane season, I have been having nightmares about it again.

Thank you for waiting for my response. I have been doing doing some couples counseling in my office here this afternoon. I appreciate your patience. Melatonin is what I usually recommend. Does it not work for you? What dose have you taken?