Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I currently have Stage 4 cancer that metastasized to my

Customer Question
I currently have Stage...

I currently have Stage 4 cancer that metastasized to my chest wall. I also completely broke my ankle two months ago. I am home, cannot drive and live with a husband who is basically gone most of the time. My 38 year old daughter likes to lecture me about everything and I feel like a caged animal with no escape. It has been extremely hard and I have been feeling sad lately. My daughter lectures me about being negative. How do I get her to just leave me alone

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?

My health sucks. I am 65. Found out I had cancer that returned from 10 years ago in Nov 2016. Had surgery to remove 10cm tumor in my lung, then radiation with chemo, then stron chemo which ended 7/17. In October I found cancer is back so undergoing O

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

OPDIVO

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mental Health
1/2/2018
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 6 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello and thank you for waiting for a response tonight. I am sorry to hear about your health issues and send you my best thoughts for healing and wellness. It is not uncommon that when faced with such a serious illness to be faced with grieving, sadness and even depression. You should discuss with your doctor whether or not he may want to give you a SSRI psychotropic medication to help you with the emotional part of what you may be experiencing. As far as your daughter, it is essential to your getting better that you have positive support, love and caring around you whenever possible. Negativity and stress has a negative impact on our immune system, and overall wellness. Is it possible for you to sit her down and tell her what you need from her right now? Her lecturing may be because she feels powerless and helpless and this is her way of feeling more in control of the situation. Does this make sense? I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC