Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My son just turned 13, he is currently dealing with thoughts…

Customer Question
My son just turned...

My son just turned 13, he is currently dealing with thoughts of a sexual nature. He reports that his thoughts range from sex with children as well as adults. This really bothers him, he thinks is a horrible person and a pedophile

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

Yes, he is a healthy boy

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

He was diagnosed with ADD in the Second grade

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mental Health
1/1/2018
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 4 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Hello and thank you for reaching out to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in the state of New York and I have worked with numerous adolescent males. I will return with my thoughts in a moment.

It would be helpful if you talked to your son and told him you are consulting with a therapist and I have a few questions that I would like to know so I can understand what is bothering him better. Here are my questions..........make sure he knows it is safe to be honest and you will not judge him, get upset or think less of him differently (all reasons why kids tend to not be honest with parents but will be honest with a therapist).

1). How many times a day would he say that he is having sexual thoughts?

2). For how long have these thoughts been bothering him; a week, a month, months?

3). Has he seen pictures or videos of people having sex?

4). Has anyone said or done anything sexual to him or around him that is bothering him?

What he is experiencing may just be a result of normal developmental curiosity and random thoughts, but these questions will help me to understand if there is a mental health/emotional issue underlying his distress. Thank you, ***** ***** forward to hearing back from you. Linda

He is very open and honest with his mother and me! We talk open and honestly in our households. His mother and I are divorcing but keep a very open line of communication especially when it relates to our children. The Thoughts started to be more frequent over the past couple weeks. They initially started about a month or so ago. He says they occur 2-3 times a day. I have asked him about viewing videos and pictures, but he says that he does not view them. I have checked his electronic devices and found nothing troubling. I have asked him, if anyone has touched him inappropriately in the past and he denies it. I have also asked him if he has touched anyone inappropriately and he denied that as well. He actually said he would never do that.
No Thank you! This doesn't seem as uncommon as I first thought. Was just wandering what the treatment options were.

I am so glad to hear that you have been able to create an open, honest environment for him. Given all of the answers to my questions, I think this is simply normal development that all adolescents find themselves thinking about and talking about. Reassure him that people who are pedophiles do not worry that they will become one, that part of their conscience or beliefs have become distorted or damaged. And it is most usually as a result of being traumatized sexually as a child themselves. Let him know his thoughts are in his control and he can distract himself or just let the thoughts come and go without judging them. These are the two most effective techniques for addressing distressing thoughts. He is fortunate to have you in his life researching for him and supporting him. Many young men do not have this and they can become ashamed of their thoughts and judge themselves harshly which is unhealthy for them. I wish you and your family all the best. Please let me know if I can help further. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

If you no longer need my assistance, may I ask you to rate my service to you? I would greatly appreciate it. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CSAC

Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC