Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My eight-year old daughter just told me about the continued…

Customer Question
My eight-year old daughter...

My eight-year old daughter just told me about the continued presence of auditory and visual hallucinations in the form of an imaginary family. They have started urging her to do bad things, like cut her hair off and bite her arm. We are frightened.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

She has a range of things that frighten away the imaginary sisters - stuffed animals, friends, her sister. She's ok now, but she says that they are around all the time.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Her great uncle has schizophrenia.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Mental Health
12/31/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
Well, since there is a genetic loading in the family with schizophrenia ( great uncle ) and her auditory and visual hallucinations along with bizarre inexplicable actions that she has been showcasing with a potential having seen of a possible aggressive and violent behaviour , all of this clubbed together indicate to the high possibility of she having developed a Psychotic episode where in she has lost touch with her surroundings and the reality and is living with an imaginary family within an imaginary world.
You see such psychotic episodes are usually associated with chemical imbalance in the brain and heavy genetic predisposition so you child seem to fall in the high risk group. So without wasting any time you should get her evaluated by a child Psychiatrist and subsequently get her started on the right mix of drugs ( anti psychotic medication at lowest possible dose ) so as to resurrect the chemical imbalance which might have taken place in the brain and thereby helping her to regain her clarity , judgment and normal Behavioral attributes.
Wish her and you all the best.
I hope this helps.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist