Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I want to have some advice for my boyfriend he has chronic…

Customer Question
Hi, I want to...

Hi, I want to have some advice for my boyfriend he has chronic pain and he is depressed, he is not working and we don't have much money

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

Where can I start to find help? it's not me, it's my boyfriend I need help to find a cheap psycologist better if here and not online since he has trouble typing because the pain

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

We live in Toronto

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Hello, I wasn't expecting the chat was going to be the actual request.
My boyfriend is 30 years old, he has chronic pain, tendinitis in both arms and he doesn't work.
He get some money from the government enough to pay the rent and his parents help with the medical appointments that are not free. I believe he need psychological help and I asked his parents but they said he is a waiting list.
He would not let me pay for his therapy and I asked his parents but they will not help, so I am looking for a cheap way that can be covered by insurance or maybe for people with low income?
I needed to work with him to let him understand that he need to speak with someone, he have been for a long time in therapy and I believe he is afraid to go back due to bad experience with therapists. He think he knows already everything he needs, but I want him to speak with someone professional anyway and he wants to do it.
12/28/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 6 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is ***** ***** am sorry to hear about your boyfriend's pain. Does he happened to have a primary care doctor who he has access to? ideally, this would be the first place to start to assess him for depression so as to know if a medication is in order. This is because far as treatment for depression, ideal treatments include medications and/or therapy, bu ideally a combination of both.

With that being said, many mental health professionals will offer sliding scales to help patient's get the treatment they need. This website is my favorite place to start your search. https://www.psychologytoday.com/en-us/ca/therapists?tr=Hdr_Brand When you enter your area, you can view the profiles of possible matches for him. You'll want to pay attention to the section called "Finances" which notes what their fees are, whether they take insurance, and also whether they have "sliding scale". Offering a sliding scale means they reduce rates to accommodate lower incomes. Also, you can sort by "issues" to find the best match as well with "chronic pain being one that you can select.

I ope this helps yo guys get started i your journey to help him feel his best. he is lucky to have your support, although certainly, these issues most certainly take a toll on you both.

-Leah.

Hi :) I just read your additional notes. hopefully, my reply helps address what you are looking for.

Is there any association or I don't know that we can use for free assistance? or we must go to a private and ask for special price due to low income?I have so far this list
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TPqCiMnNLm1rYYGG82wsej0bhcbGlQ8vk_rPGwhWhOg/edit?usp=sharingShall I give it to my boyfriend and ask him to contact them and go for a session? Shall I contact them? Shall I go with him?
I can't take day off from work but maybe we can figure it out in the evening or similar?
I asked him to speak with a website I used in the past which is betterhelp, it's free the first 7 days, but I am sure he is going to lame about cause he can't type for a long time.

Hi :) I am glad you were able to find some potential matches from the PsychologyToday site., In general, I do not know of institutions that provide ongoing, free counseling outside of some organizations that may cater to students or specific populations, like domestic violence sufferers or pregnant women. You could consider contacting local psychiatric or psychology or social work departments through universities or health systems to see if they offer therapy done by students which can be discount, for instance, I came across this.. (perhaps where he is waitlisted?)

The Toronto Institute for Relational Psychotherapy offers private appointments with a supervised student therapist for a fee of $20 (including HST) per session, and this fee is applicable for as long as the student is in training. Relational therapy with recent graduates of the Institute is available at $40 (including HST) per session for up to 20 sessions. They also offer couples therapy at $40 (including HST) per session for up to 12 sessions. The school is run by Pat de Young, a leading Toronto psychotherapist and educator.

It sounds like you are really trying to help your boyfriend but at this point, he will be best served if he is willing to seek help for himself. You can provide him with the resources and ask him to do the calling. This empowerment will help him get engaged in his own goal to get better and is more predictive of success than you doing it all for him. As far as going with him - it could be useful to have you tag along as a support system but the work is going to need to come from him so I don't think you should plan to attend his first session with him. Perhaps you may be invited in at some point but he needs to establish his own rapport with a counselor and feel free to share all things on his mind which he may be hesitant to do with you there (this is not meant to offend you!)So if you can find a place with weekend or evening hours, then you can be a great support by going with him, but waiting in the lobby or elsewhere while he is in session.

And, the short-term help may be god if h is in crisi, but what he really needs is more ongoing supportive therapy if his goal is to truly get through this and eel better.

Hi, I noticed this question is still open due to being unrated. Can I help further? If not, thank you for considering providing a rating so I can get credit for my time.

Happy New Year!

-Leah