Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Whats the best way to deal with tons of life changes that…

Customer Question
Whats the best way to...
Whats the best way to deal with tons of life changes that has been going on for the past few mnths?
At first in 2015,i had to deal with being on my own and separated from a loved one.Then I went through financial worries while moving to a country thats a dream for me.Then while in that country,I felt very vulnerable while trying to be on my own and get to my goals so I felt cornered when two different people aided by an abusive environment harassed me.I confronted and then was let go.I survived and over came the backlash.I had ptsd cos I stayed in it for too long and played a role to survive.But I was allowed to move around the country.I went to another place and it felt like a fresh start.Similiar difficult situations happened but i handled it better and i had support too.However in the process,a sort of friend fell out with me cos of me being brave over misunderstandings.I moved again and became strong and moved on from those people but fought through the turmoil with the friend n now have sought justice for things clearing us both with the help of police etc.Basically I uave sort of started claiming back my territory.But again.more tests are here.My visa to get to canada to present business ideas got rejected and now i have to leave this country too that im in cos of me not applying sooner for a transfer.I feel like im,moving atound constnalty and if i relax,im doomed in sme way.im also afraid of starting all over in my cpuntry of origin and me being stuck there and this cucle never been broken.I feel stuck and worrisome in relationships too.like im doomed and theres strife.What should i do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 day by:
12/28/2017
Mental Health Professional: TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist replied 1 month ago
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like you have been through numerous stressful situations, many of which were out of your control. You mentioned that you had PTSD but it was not clear if you had been formally diagnosed by a mental health professional or if you felt you had the symptoms of PTSD and suspect that you have that diagnosis.

Because of what you have been through, it may help to know more about PTSD and how it affects you. By knowing more, you can learn ways to help yourself. The only way to know for sure if you do have PTSD, which is possible given what you have been through, is by seeing a mental health professional. If you are diagnosed, the therapist or psychiatrist can help you find treatment and support you through recovery.

As you may know, PTSD develops after you have been through a dramatic experience. It can happen as a result of a car accident, being a witness to a crime or being a victim of one (such as you experienced). Or you can develop it after being in the military and seeing combat.

The symptoms of PTSD include: Flashbacks of the event, nightmares, trouble sleeping and/or eating, feeling emotionally numb, avoiding the place the event occurred or even discussions about the event, anger, trouble concentrating and other similar symptoms. You do not necessarily have to have all of the symptoms of PTSD to be diagnosed with the disorder.

The best way to know if you do suffer from PTSD is to have an evaluation done by a therapist. This includes a Master's level therapist or Ph.D. or you can see a psychiatrist. Medications can be given to help you cope with the symptoms but therapy and support are the best treatments, preferably with a therapist who has experience treating PTSD.

You can also use self help through resources and support to help yourself feel better. Here are some to help you:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/post_traumatic_stress_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

http://www.ptsd.va.gov/

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/post-traumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/index.shtml

http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=posttraumatic_stress_disorder

http://ptsd.supportgroups.com/

Support through groups online or in person can be very helpful. You mention that you feel stuck and worried in relationships. However, you do not have to be in a face to face relationship in order to get support. Try online groups. If you are experiencing difficulty with a permanent place to live, using online groups can give you a more solid footing because you can access the internet in most places.

Try to do things for yourself that are self care. Take some time to treat yourself to a good meal, a solid nights sleep, rest when you can and try to connect as much as possible to others. Even just a chat with people you see during your day can take your mind off your troubles and help you feel less alone. And if you have faith, try going to a church or talking to a pastor for support. There are many options online as well through organizations that help people who have been through traumatic experiences.

I hope this has helped you,

MaryAnn

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What can I do to stop being in such situations!I feel uncomfy when I stay put in one place.Im not surw why.

If you are feeling uncomfortable staying in one place and are also struggling with the situations you are in, you might be experiencing anxiety. That can cause both of the feelings you describe. PTSD can also do the same. It's difficult to tell for sure without being able to do a full evaluation but that is what I would be looking for as a therapist. The only way to address what you feel is to find out exactly what is causing these feelings through a full evaluation. You can also use the self help information to give you a place to start.

MaryAnn

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was diagnosed with ptsd since march .I thought or i think im getting better since that incident of me confronting the friend and now gaining justiceBut now i wonder seeing these patterns in my behaviour

It is possible that you are reacting to the stress in your life even if you resolved some of the issues causing you to feel anxious. That would cause what you are feeling.

MaryAnn

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist