Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My stepson 18 yrs old talks to himself and giggles a lot.

Customer Question
My stepson 18 yrs...

My stepson 18 yrs old talks to himself and giggles a lot. Even when we are in a discussion or in public he tunes out and starts this monologue. If I ask him about it he just says he's thinking of something. He seems very out of touch with the world around him and can't complete simple tasks. He wasn't always like this

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

His mood?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

This is about my step son. He has had some paranoid delusions but was told that he is not psychotic. He has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder but I don't see these symptoms there

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Mental Health
12/27/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 3 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe that I can help you with your query.
Well, from his symptoms such as muttering to self, giggling or grimacing without any apparent reason, being lost on his own world, not being able to complete tasks assigned to him , loosing objectivity and clarity for a person of his age and maturity regarding life, delusional and Paranoid behaviour etc of these are suggestive of a high possibility of him having a Paranoid Psychosis as a explanatory diagnosis for his behavioral attributes. His behavior is too bizarre and inexplicable to be found within the realms of borderline personality disorder, so may be his previous evaluator got all wrong about his diagnosis or he / she was not subjected to his present behavioral traits.
I reckon that he needs to be promptly seen and formally diagnosed by a Psychiatrist and subsequently started on a drug regime comprising of an anti psychotic medication such as zyprexa or Risperdal or abilify besides using a mood stabilizer such as depakote or depakene.
You see if his this condition is not immediately catered to then there is a risk of this condition getting blown out of proportion and it may even become a long standing disorder like schizophrenia.
I hope this makes sense and gives you an insight into the whole issue surrounding your stepson. The faster he gets the meds the better prognosis aka outcome of his diagnosis shall be.
Wish your stepson all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer so that I can be credited for my service.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist