Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I want a psychologist. I want a psychologist. I want a

I want a psychologist ...

I want a psychologist

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I want a psychologist

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I want a psychologist not a dr

12/26/2017
Dr Karen Chambre

Hi My Name is***** have been a psychotherapist for over 30 years. How can I help you?

I am facing major health issues and feel I may have bulbar als. I can no longer talk, I frequently choke on food and water and saliva. I live on an ensure diet and high fat diet of avocados and yogurt etc which I can only eat after hrs of pressing on my neck muscles and needling my neck and torso with acupuncture needles to release the spasms. If I didn't do that I would not swallow food and would have died long ago. This past week I had two days where I got zero fluid at all.
I'm constantly at the hospital getting ivs and have a question..::There is only one reason I'm hanging only this life and doing these life prolonging measure (re: the ivs, ensures, needling my neck to swallow, etc). That reason is bc me and my brothers (more specifically one of them) don't get along and I have a 68yr old mother who has a substantial estate and I don't want them to get all of it if I die. If my mother was to die (which she just had a stroke or mynborther did - god forbid) and I got my
Inheritance or knew I was the only one to inherit it and was able to leave it to whoever I wanted, I probably would give up this fight. Help me understand why not letting them get it all is so important to me that I would keep suffering like this bc I'm really suffering a lot. Thx
If me and my brothers ended up having a good relationship I prob would give up my fight too
It is the sheer hatred between us that keeps me going but I don't know why it's so important to me

It sounds like you are going through torture. The key sound like your tremendous rage for your brothers especially one of them. How long has the anger been going on? What is it about? It seems the only way to let go would be to begin to process the rage you have toward your brothers. I would be happy to help.

The anger is more about him stealing my fathers business when he died. My
Father died about 5yrs ago and he is slowly trying to take everything. When I was a kid I used to get seizures and my parents helped me more. My mom built me house in a small town and when he found out he demanded our mom buy him a house even though he is not disabled and can work. He demanded half the cost of the house built for me come out of my will and added to his. He was never taught compassion by my parents or empathy and doesn't understand that I need this help. Because of his he tries to take everything. He has taken this business.Pls explain why my rage for him is so great I would continue to let myself suffer

Rage usually goes very deep when it hits an old trigger or war wound as I call it. It sounds like you are psychologically minded and you understand that your brother felt neglected since you were not well. Your parents really took good care of you. I am sure they did not mean to leave him out. But it sounds like he could not have any empathy that you were sick and needed your parents. He just has gotten enraged and entitled. On some level he feels I did not get what I needed then so I am entitled and I will take it now. I think you are so angry with him because probably since you were kids he might have been demanding and entitled while you were sick. You might have been so angry since you were young because he could not see outside himself. I wonder if part of your anger is for your mother. If you leave her will he take everything from her and what will happen. Let me know if this sounds like it might be right. We can talk about working it through.

I think you are so angry with him because probably since you were kids he might have been demanding and entitled while you were sick.
I'm sorry I don't follow

Sorry. I wondered if since your brother was a child he had no empathy for your illness. I wonder if he was angry and entitled because he did not feel he got enough attention that he was difficult to deal with. I thought if this was the case it must have been awful for you dealing with illness and a brother who had no compassion or empathy and only cared about himself when you were miserable.

That's pretty much him

Do you want to see if you can get somewhere with your anger. It seems like it has been going on for a long time and it takes time to get through all of the emotions within the anger. I wonder if your concern for your mother is just as or more powerful than your anger at your brother. If you knew that she would be protected would that help

If I knew she'd be Protected ? Sorry I don't follow again

Sorry it was not clear. I think part of the anger as we said it definitely that he was so needing attention he has acted out even as an adult to get what he wants without having any concern for what you have gone through in your life. I was not sure if it is the anger you feel toward him mainly that won't let you rest and/or if it is the thought he could take everything from your mother. I wondered if there was some way you knew that your mother would be protected and he would not take everything from her if that could help you. It would not resolve the anger but you would know your mother would be taken care of. In terms of working through this anger it is not easy. It sounds like it goes back to childhood. It takes time to go through all the traumatic experience and re experience the anger to get to some level of acceptance. It is like working through acute grief. Let me know if that makes sense.Part of this has to do with the amount of time you want or are able to put into dealing with the anger.

Dr Karen Chambre
Dr Karen Chambre
Dr Karen Chambre
Dr Karen Chambre