Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

What are some natural remedies for akathsia?My antisycotic…

Customer Question
What are some natural remedies...
What are some natural remedies for akathsia?My antisycotic medicine does this. Why does it do it and how
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/25/2017
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 7 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Since akathisia is a drug-induced adverse effect, optimal management involves its prevention rather than treatment. Standardised titration and the use of novel antipsychotics are successful measures of prevention. Based on the available literature, propranolol or other lipophilic beta-blockers seem to be the most consistently effective treatment for acute akathisia. There is nothing in the literature to guide a clinician when treatment with beta-blockers fails. Addition of benzodiazepines would appear to be a sensible next choice, especially if subjective distress persists. If all of these drugs are unsuccessful, amantadine or clonidine can be tried. Other agents that have been investigated include ritanserin, piracetam, valproic acid (sodium valproate) and tricyclic antidepressants.