Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have been taking Xanax for over seven years 1 mg three…

Customer Question
I have been taking...

I have been taking Xanax for over seven years 1 mg three times a day, my doctor cut me down to 1 mg once a day due to state regulations or some other thing, and I have to decide which panic attack is worth taking 14, it’s torture I have been taking Xanax for over seven years 1 mg three times a day, my doctor cut me down to 1 mg once a day due to state regulations or some other thing, and I have to decide which panic attack is worth taking 14, it’s torture

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I am a typical worry wort, Anything with financial stress, and a whole host of other problems that go on in life but ever since my father died early this year is been a much harder and it was just bad timing if you decide to come down now when I can use them the most because I’m still anxious all the time that my mother’s gonna be OK etc. Anything with financial stress, and a whole host of other problems that go on in life but ever since my father died early this year is been a much harder and it was just bad timing if you decide to come down now when I can use them the most because I’m still anxious all the time that my mother’s gonna be OK etc.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

No I’ve never had anything diagnosed after my father died my regular physician put me on I think Lexapro whatever it is which seems to maybe help but I’ve always had anxiety since fourth grade

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mental Health
12/25/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.theWelcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist andI believe that I can help you with your query.
Are you still taking lexapro if yes at what dose ?
Please confirm that are you taking 1 mg of xanax per day ?
Regards
Sertraline 300mg day 1 mg alprozolam..not working..I don’t get it, I’ve been full functioning and good for years and they decide to lower one and put me on lexopro ..is this just pharma reps pushing the doc to get me on it,, I’ve never been depressed, nervous, a worry wort but happy
Thanks for the inputs.
Well, first of all try to understand that anti depressant medications like lexapro are not only effective against depression but also extremely effective against anxiety specially in the long run while benzodiazepine category xanax / clonazepam is only meant for short term usage for quick relief against anxiety and later they should be tapered off and used only on prn basis that is as per required basis at times of panic attacks.
Secondly , I feel after years of being on sertraline which at the moment is being used at a fairly high dose and still not being effective in keeping your anxiety at bay therefore the doctor is rightly suggesting to replace it with another potent anti depressant / anti anxiety agent like lexapro so as to help get a new lease of life to your drug regime but yes I agree with you that at this moment when you are in transit mode from sertraline to lexapro he should have continued with 1 mg xanax three times a day and later on slowly weaned you off xanax.
So at the moment I will encourage you to shift over to lexapro from sertraline and start taking 0.25 mg xanax in morning , 0.5 mg dose of xanax in afternoon and 0.25 mg xanax at night that will imply that you will be taking the total of 1 mg xanax that your doctor has subscribed you to take in 3 divided doses so as to provide you some relief throughout the day from anxiety while you complete the process of transition from sertraline to lexapro.
I hope this makes sense to you and provide you with a new perspective in looking To your revised drug regime
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards