Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have a question, I have been receiving some harassment…

Customer Question
hi, I have a question, I...
hi, I have a question,
I have been receiving some harassment phone calls and text messages, I did complained to the police and I have block the number however, she send messages from different numbers and it really start effecting me, and giving me the anxiety.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mental Health
12/22/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 5 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi,thank you for writing. My name is ***** ***** am really sorry to hear you are having this dilemma. First, it is really important for you to realize that what you are going through is anxiety-provoking. Anxiety is meant to be a warning system for you to recognize when things feel scary or unsafe, and so right now, your anxiety is doing its job in trying to remind you to be more guarded than usual. Usually, when threats of this nature start to pass, the anxiety will also lessen.

With that being said, it is never comfortable to live with anxiety, especially if this person continues to behave in ways meant to alarm you. Ideally, you want to problem-solve ways to get clear of the threat, first and foremost, which it sounds like you have tried. However, if she is still bugging you and affecting your sense of security, then you may have to do some more drastic things, like considering changing your number so she can no longer text. I know that is unfair, but since you can't control her behavior at this point, you can control how you react to it and the goal is to get her to stop so you can feel safe again, so that is one valid option.

As far as some strategies to combat anxiety, what you want to do is try to be objective in the way you go about assessing the risk. Yes, this person is being threatening via text but o you have any reason to believe she ll escalate that? Do you practice keeping yourself safe? Do you control things to minimize your risk? In any one moment, confirm you safety by noting that at that time, the risk to you is absent. this method of grounding yourself oi the moment as opposed to thinking about what could happen can help keep anxiety lessened.

You can also do some behavioral strategies to try to keep clam.... here is my blog which helps explain three options that can help deescalate anxiety successfully...

http://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/wellness-prevention/3-easy-exercises-for-anxiety-relief-you-can-use-anywhere

I can only imagine the stress you feel but I want to first an foremost validate that anxiety is going to be part of your reaction to this ordeal and is normal. You can help combat anxiety by controlling things to the extent you are able and practicing good behavioral techniques to help try to sty at ease. but ideally, try to make the anxiety-provoking stimulus stop and hopefully you will gain confidence from there.

I am here to chat moe if you'd like!

-Leah

Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 4 months ago

Hi, I noticed this question is still open due to being unrated. Can I help further? If not, thank you for considering providing a rating so I can get credit for my time.

Happy New Year!

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker