Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have anxiety and recently think it is playing tricks with…

Second opinion] Hi. I have...
Second opinion] Hi. I have anxiety and recently think it is playing tricks with my eyes. Is this possible? Sometimes feel things are moving when there not etc. Thank you
12/22/2017
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe that I can help you with your query.
Well yes anxiety can lead to psychosomatic symptoms like feeling twitching of eyes or odd sensations in eye, this happens because anxiety increases one's sensitivity of body parts thereby leading to such somatic aka bodily symptoms when actually they are not.
So what you can do is that you can take lexapro (escitalopram ) which is an anti anxiety plus anti depressant drug at dose of 10-20 mg per day for few weeks and hopefully this will manage your anxiety in the long run and once you are anxiety free then you can come off lexapro.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Thank you Dr, can anxiety make your eyes play tricks on you think things are moving when not, think your off balance ? Thank you.

Well, yes such things such as going off balance or feeling like loosing control or seeing things moving when they are not can happen in anxiety but the anxiety should be transient / temporary for a brief moment like a panic attack with abrupt onset and spontaneous remission within a few minutes. But if you are seeing objects moving for longer periods of time when they are not in reality then you need to get your eyes checked first and once eyesight error has been ruled out then you can get assessed by a psychiatrist for anxiety.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards

would these symptoms have anything connected with something wrong with your brain etc. Thank you.
Well anxiety leading up to such symptoms is not associated with any structural problem with the brain per say but anxiety often may develop because of lower levels of serotonin levels in the brain and hence the use of serotonin increasing medications which come as anti anxiety and anti depressant drugs which resurrect the deficient levels are warranted.
I hope this sums it up for you.
Wish you all the best.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for getting back to me Dr. I continue from time to time to have the feeling my eyes are both focusing and making things move that are not eg this evening I was doing a jig saw with my little one and would imagine my eyes were not focused correct creating a feeling of movement , this stresses me she increases my anxiety obviously. With the time of year I've been very busy, Kate nights and tired so that doesn't help either!! I just worry something serious!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My eyes are both focusing that should say apologies.

Keep yourself engaged in some activity or the other so that there is no overthinking and worrying excessively over trivial things. Just keep in your mind one thing that anxiety or panic attacks are not life threatening and they are temporary and you shall overcome them and as fast as possible if you try to train your mind to distract yourself at times your mind has started playing games with you and is trying to ignite a state of panic.

What you described above is nothing to worry about and try to understand that if at all there was anything serious then would it have remained as it is for this long a period and not caused you any major symptoms .

I hope this makes sense and gives you peace of mind.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks Dr. That makes things very clear.
Take care. Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist