Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have a son who is 13 and has phobia/anxiety evrynight

Customer Question
I have a son...

I have a son who is 13 and has phobia/anxiety evrynight about going to sleep

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

When he is tired worse. Going on for couple of years. have seen a professional but didnt seem to change anything

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mental Health
12/19/2017
Mental Health Professional: TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC replied 7 months ago
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC

Has something in his history happened that caused this distress around sleep?

No it has been a gradual progression for a couple of years. Not scared of anything in particular, just scared to go to sleep. Need security that I will come and check on him before I go to bed so if he is still awake he can come into bed with me. He stresses out about during the day sometimes, getting anxious about going to bed
Hello any response???

yes it takes more than a minute to read and then respond.

It sounds like he is holding a lot of anxiety during the day and it is playing out in this worry about bed time. Even though therapy in the past hasn't helped, I would try again and let him have the space to talk about all of his feelings.

In the meantime, I would suggest that he practice meditation each night...some calming guided imagery from youtube or something similar where he can focus on his breathing and learn to feel grounded in the moment and relaxed enough to sleep.

Is it something we would expect him to grow out of?

anxiety isn't something one grows out of per se but he can learn to express his feelings so that it doesn't end up as anxiety which is why therapy can be so helpful if he is open and willing to fully participate.

He can learn techniques such as what I suggested above that can calm him when his anxiety creeps in.

Can I support you further?

Please take a moment to click the rating faces to rate my support. You are not charged again for doing so but without it, I will not receive credit for my support. Thanks for understanding.

Mental Health Professional: TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC replied 6 months ago
If you would please offer the rating now I would greatly appreciate it.