Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have trouble with major anxiety like really bad my mind…

Customer Question
I have trouble with...

I have trouble with major anxiety like really bad my mind races all the time I spoke to a psychologist about a year ago and they said to stop drinking and exercise I haven't drank and exercise now for a year and its way worse everyday is very hard at work at school and home what is it?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Forever. drinking would help but I'm sober for a year now and have no relief

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mental Health
12/18/2017
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 2 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Thank you

Although the psychologist was correct that exercise and abstaining from alcohol, caffeine and excess sugar helps with anxiety, it is only a small part of the overall picture. Anxiety has a biochemical as well as cognitive basis thqt must be addressed and treated.

Psychotherapy, primarily Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), is very effective for reducing symptoms of anxiety. Usually the use of a psychotropic medication like a SSRI antidepressant (yur general physician can prescribe) will allow you to focus more on the therapy and core causes of your anxiety. If you prefer not to use medications than the use of natural supplements like Picamilon, Valerian Root, KAVA, or Passion Flower have some anti-anxiety properties that may help too. Overall with treatment you will be able to overcome this an Anxiety Disorder, but it will take time. Your drinking may in fact have been a way to self medicate the symptoms of anxiety which is why it may be even worse now. Get help, you deserve to feel better. Let me know if you need more help. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Imam so sorry, I just checked on you and realized I wrote this but never hit send. :^( sorry for delay!

Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC