Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Taking lorazepam as a sleep aid....have been very anxious…

Taking lorazepam as a...

Taking lorazepam as a sleep aid....have been very anxious for several weeks. Doctor unavailable this week. Can I take it during the day for relief from anxiety?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Intense anxiety for the past 3 weeks. Symptoms worse when not busy doing physical activity

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

2 years ago moved from small farm to town under duress. Had terrible trouble sleeping and taking trazodone and lorazepam as sleep aids and have been sleeping well for over a year with that combination. Anxiety during the day have just recently become bad.

12/18/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi thanks for writing. Sorry to hear anxiety is getting you down. What dose of your lorazepam are you prescribed?

-Leah

0.5mg
only take at bed time

Yes, you can consider taking it throughout the day, every 8 or every 12 hours. .5mg is a low dose for this medication - the max daily dose for lorazepam is 10 mg/day but you should not need anywhere need that. So if you want to try taking it during the day, just make sure your dosing is spaced out by 8 hours.

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker