Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have been suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks.

Customer Question
I have been suffering...

I have been suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks. I use to get them a long time ago and now they are back full force!!! ii can hear my heartbeating in my ear and I am ready to go over the edge. What kind of dr should i see concerning this issue.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

Its been going on for years and I was on valium which helps it just starting again about two weeks ago and it horrible. I just saw an ent and my head is fine.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Not that i know of i just get really dizzy light headed and nauseus then i get scared and the anxiety start

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mental Health
12/16/2017
Mental Health Professional: TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist replied 8 months ago
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Anxiety can feel overwhelming and terrifying. Many of the symptoms mimic physical disorders, causing anxiety sufferers to go from doctor to doctor trying to figure out what is wrong. But anxiety is really created by thoughts that cause bodily symptoms. While doctors can help you eliminate any possible medical cause for what you feel, they are not trained in dealing with anxiety except through medications. A mental health professional is trained to deal with anxiety and help you overcome your symptoms and feel better. If your doctor has eliminated any physical reason for your dizziness and nausea, you are most likely experiencing anxiety symptoms. Both symptoms are very common with anxiety.

When you are anxious, your thoughts are causing your mind to think your in danger. Your body reacts by releasing adrenaline into your system. Adrenaline cause you to feel the physical symptoms that are common with anxiety. It is much like after you have had a bad scare except with anxiety, there is no focus. The only thing you have to focus on is how you feel. And because your thoughts are probably always on alert, so is your body. This may be why you always feel anxious and scared. For example, you may experience a sudden scare if someone jumps out at you unexpectedly. Your heart will race, your legs weaken and your senses will heighten. If you don't have anxiety, you will simply acknowledged that you were caught off guard and calm down. But with anxiety, these symptoms as well as others stay with you, in a constant state of fear.

The good news is that anxiety is easy to treat with therapy. In therapy, you learn to pay attention to what you are thinking to make yourself anxious. The therapist then can help you change your thoughts and therefore how your body reacts to your thoughts. You also can learn about how to let yourself float through your anxiety thereby gaining more control over how you feel. When anxiety comes on, you allow it to flow over you without tensing or panicking in response. This makes the anxiety reduce or go away faster. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/. It is helpful to search for a therapist who has experience with anxiety.

Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But medications can help to reduce your symptoms if you are struggling daily to cope and need something to help until therapy progresses.

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you. You may also want to try online or in personal anxiety groups. Be careful to find ones that talk about how to recover rather than repeat symptoms and anxiety producing scenarios. You want to feel better and move forward towards recovery and not fuel your anxiety.

I hope this has helped you,
MaryAnn

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Hello, I have not heard back from you. Please let me know if you need clarification or have further related questions.

Thanks,

MaryAnn