Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have been on up to 3 mg per day of Ativan for the last…

I have been on up...
I have been on up to 3 mg per day of Ativan for the last several months for severe anxiety. How concerned should I be about this affecting cognition and memory?
12/14/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** your concern here is valid. The benzos (like Ativan) do have propensity to be very addictive and longer-term use can affect memory, mood, and cognition. Long-term use is generally defined as use for 6 months or more. Everyone differs somewhat in their response to this medication so while one may show signs of the long-term use sooner, some may never display such effects.

Because your anxiety appears to be more chronic, thus requiring daily dosing of Ativan. have you and your doctor explored safer alternatives like an SSRI and psychotherapy?

-Leah

I am doing psychotherapy. I had been on medical leave and had to do a fitness for duty exam. I did not fully pass and still am in medical. There was some concern about memory tests so that's why I was thinking of Ativan.

Indeed the Ativan could be messing with your memory, especially if the memory decline correlates to starting it. But it also sounds like you have some confounding factors like stress which could also be affecting your memory. Depression can easily impact memory as well. I am glad to hear you are in therapy - that could be a god setting to try to tease out some of this. However, the ideal way to find out would be to start to reduce your dose of Ativan to see if your memory improves. It can take some time to taper off but base on your usage to date, is not likely there has been any permanent damage.

-Leah

I am going to talk to my psychiatrist to start weaning from the Ativan. I am trying to start to do memory games to help my memory. Any particular ones you can recommend would be useful. I was stressed the day of the fitness for duty exam so that could be a confounding factor.

I think all those things sound like a good plan. Anything that exercises your brain will be good for your memory so pick your favorite "thinking' challenges like Sudoku, crosswords, number puzzles, word searches, jigsaws, etc. There are alsoaps that can help with your memory, but also ones like card games, etc that also can help and are fun. (I like Spider Solitaire :)) https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/06/best-apps-for-memory_n_4175170.html Also, consider talking to your therapist about a practice called "mindfulness" which helps you get out of the habit of multi-taing and keeps you focused on being in the moment and aware. This technique for life is generally really helpful for stress, too.

Thank you.

For sure. Stay hopeful!! It sounds like this going to get better because you are actively trying to take great care of yourself. I wish you well and hope you can get back to work feeling your best very soon.

-Leah

Thanks

Take care :)

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker