Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I know I need Lexapro for my depression, but am so afraid of…

Customer Question
I know I need...

I know I need Lexapro for my depression, but am so afraid of weight gain that it keeps me from staying on my meds. how do I get beyond that fear

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

Oh yes my gp, but I just can't bring myself to totally stay on it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mental Health
12/11/2017
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 7 months ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Robin, weight gain is a very common concern for many individuals who are contemplating taking medication for anxiety/depression. Much has been researched in this area to help with this concern. I have an article that I would like to recommend that you read. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-antidepressant-diet/201007/reversing-antidepressant-weight-gain

Please let me know your thoughts and we can chat further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC