Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I would like to talk with a mental health professional

Hi .I would like to...
Hi .I would like to talk with a mental health professional please. I feel very lonely because of some events that has happened. I am studding for school psychology major. I entered the program in Fall 2015, I got leave of absence on 2016 for 6 months because of my anxiety and pressures from school and peers that I could not tolerate. I went to therapist and from that time, I am using citlapram. It has been very effective. However for past months I had one incident of something like depressive episode and anxiety (mental break down) because of an Issue with my previous site supervisor and the university did not believe me that I did not disrespect this supervisor at all! She was just making me anxious by keep saying scary and argumentative of her experience as a school psych. And I just explained my opinion to her very respectfully. This situation caused me mental/emotional break, I cried a lot, missed few days (Was not able to study and fell behind) And I lost substantial grade for that. I am also slower in doing projects, papers and class works comparing to other students in the class. One of out project is to practice administrating psycho educational testing which involves lots of calculations and technical directions. It is called WISC V that typically I should take at most one hour for scoring an calculating. It tool me 8 hours (considering half an hour break and lunch) to finish scoring it. For one of the assignments, we had to choose one test from each category ( one test from each of the 3 categories we were given) I made a mistake and chose two tests from a category which caused me to lose more than half a full grade for the project ( Although I had circled an marked on my syllabus. exactly around the name of the tests ) But still I chose an extra test instead of choosing aright test. I had also missed the psych report writing. It was on the syllabus but I did not notice. Now I am no passing one of the classes (the same class that has testing project) and I have to wait until next fall to take it. It is offered in fall and the program goes with cohort. So for one year, my money and time be wasted. I am also not good at technical language of the class. I have also problem with working with numbers. For example sometimes, instead of 5, I see 3. Instead of 6, I see 9. I always reviewed my scoring of the psycho educational test, I still could not catch my mistake. Sometimes, I check three times,I see my calculation was wrong (even with using calculator) , I fix again.Then I check again to make sure this is the correct one! Then I suddenly see that I came up with a new number! I had the opportunity to take my final exams with students with disabilities office, they give more time and I can bring 2 pages note. However, I have never tried being tested for learning disability.
* I finished my exams today. feel very lonely because I feel I am singled out, and I am not continuing with my cohort and I feel behind. I also feel heavy-hearted when I look at the semester that I just had: Pressures, confusions, cry, missing points and assignments, missing days of studyI appreciate you giving me suggestions of what to do to feel better.
Thank you
12/7/2017
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem.

From what you are describing, it sounds like there is a possibility that you may have a learning disability. You note that you struggle to work with numbers, seeing a 3 instead of a 5 or a 9 instead of a six. Seeing numbers, words or not being able to understand what you are reading or seeing are signs of a possible learning disability. You also said that it takes you a while to score a test and that you find yourself making frequent mistakes in your work. However, it does not sound like you are not making an effort or that your desire to learn is not there. which might indicate depression. The symptoms you are describing seem to point more towards a learning problem rather than something like depression. While there is no way to be sure since we cannot do an evaluation in person, your description of your symptoms do seem to point towards a learning issue rather than another diagnosis.

However, that does not mean you are not feeling depressed, frustrated, anxious and other emotional distress. If you have not yet had a diagnosis and you are struggling to keep up with expectations in college, that can create a lot of stress for you. Also, not having the college or your professors understand can make you feel isolated, along with the feeling that you don't fit in with the other students. One of the main ways people feel okay about themselves is to measure how they fit in with others and their status in society. If you are feeling like you don't belong and others are not understanding your situation, you can easily feel left out, alone and scared.

The first step in dealing with your situation is to get an evaluation. You may want to try your local community mental health center or you can contact your insurance company and ask for recommendations for a psychologist who can evaluate you and provide a diagnosis. If you do have a learning disability, the university you attend must make accommodations for you so it is easier for you to learn and do the work necessary for your degree.

You may also want to try therapy. Talking to a professional about your struggles and how to cope can not only help you feel less alone, but it can give you a direction so you don't feel lost and anxious. And if you are given a diagnosis, you can find resources to help you get support, such as online or in person support groups, forums and assistance at school. Just have a base of support and people in your life that understand can make a big difference in your outlook and your ability to continue in school.

Most of all, remember that even though you are going through a difficult time, you are continuing to try. You are seeking answers and working to improve your situation. That takes strength and courage. Keep trying- you will find a way to work through this and you will feel better.

I hope this has helped you,

MaryAnn

I have not heard back from you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. I'm happy to help.

Thank you,

MaryAnn

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist
Hi Dear *****Ann. I am sorry I got s busy with my finals. I appreciate you helps. :)
Thank you

You're welcome. No worries! I hope your finals went well.

Take care,

MaryAnn

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist