Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am looking to speak to someone about possible dysfunction,

Customer Question
Hi I am looking to...
Hi I am looking to speak to someone about possible sexual dysfunction
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have spoken to a Dr about lack of sensation but they say this is normal for most women
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I am not taking medications
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2017
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 1 month ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. Thank you for waiting, how can I help you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was just concerned about problems during intercourse. I am feeling like a disappointment because I don't orgasm from penetration. Is this something you cantalk with me about?

We do not have an actual sex therapist here on this site, but we could explore whether this is an issue of feeling trust and emotional safety with your partner which is often needed for a woman to allow herself to surrender and have an orgasm.

I do not agree that most women do not experience sensation during foreplay or intercourse. That is an over generalization.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I am able to have an orgasm with a partner but not from penetration. I have had partners discount this experience or even tell me it doesn't count.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am confused by what you mean by over generalization

Every man and woman is unique in what is stimulating to them sexually and what they need to orgasm. The range is as vast as you can imagine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Or that whole last response actually

What I meant by over generalization is that to say most women do not experience sensation during intercourse is too general and I don't believe to be true based on my experience as a therapist working with women.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I think that's what I am concerned about. I am numb during intercourse. And I don't know if that is normal or there is some mental block going on.

Yes, that is an important thing to explore. Have you had this numb feeling with all of your sexual partners?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't feel much inside my vagina. Not mentally numb.

Why do you feel there may be a mental block?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Idont know. I just don't know if it's normal not to have any feeling during intercourse. And I feel very bad about myself because of it. I have been told by men that the type of orgasms that work for me do not count.

It is not normal to not have any feeling at all during intercourse. But it is also unfair to tell a woman that how she experiences pleasure sexually during intercourse does not count.

I have opted out of your question since I do not feel I am being very helpful to you. This will give another therapist chance to help you if possible. I wish you all the best.

Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist