How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Linda D. Your Own Question
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 876
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Linda D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to find a place near my home town of Houston

Customer Question

I would like to find a place near my home town of Houston that can provide some definitive answers regards ***** ***** of medications, sleep study, gastro work up and neurological evaluation for my 19 year old son. Do you have any GOOD suggestions?
JA: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?
Customer: It is for my son who is in college and has had sleep issues since birth. He was diagnosed several years ago with Asperger syndrome and adhd.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: He is currently taking the anti-seizure medication lamictal and is suffering from anxiety and severe mood swings.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: In one form or another his entire life.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Linda D. replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. Thank you for waiting for an answer, it has been a busy day with clients. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 11 months ago.

In giving serious consideration to your son's complex. varied needs for a professional to coordinate his care the best option would be a psychiatrist who can manage the medications but because the psychiatrist is also a medical doctor he/she can address your son's neurological and sleep issues which are often related. The psychiatrist would also be affiliated with a hospital where he can order testing for the gastro issues, sleep study, etc. Would you like me to research specific psychiatrists in your area that may be good fit for your son given the Asperger's disorder and his age? I would be glad to help. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
please! We have been through the Tarnow experience for over an 18 month period with no good outcome! The psychiatrist and psychologist had no real results with coordinating a plan and working with it!
We first visited with Dr. Timothy Bowan who diagnosed him with asperger Syndrome sometime around 2011.
We also consulted Diane Treadwell for psychological testing. She concluded that he did not have asperger but rather appeared to be adhd. It has been a very expensive rollercoaster of emotions! He did get accommodations during his high school years regarding extra time, noise control and lighting issues!
Also my sons father is a plastic surgeon and always interferes with the diagnosis and treatment plans! Please..... I am desperate to get my son help for him to be successful and he really want to get help!
He is currently enrolled in a community college and living with his grandmother to be near the school. She is an enabler and he is having difficulties with time management and executive functioning. I am trying to get him transferred to a Autism support college at Texas Tech University since I feel he may benefit from being in an academic environment at an accredited university and will feel better about his future with the aid of the program with direction/assistance during the college years! He needs to complete the minimal core classes to transfer but is having a hard time staying focused. His father thinks that he needs adderal but I think he needs a total evaluation with medical intervention for the sleep deficits and anxiety issues! Please advise! Thank you!
Expert:  Linda D. replied 11 months ago.

I hear your distress and concern for him! I just finished working with a client and am going to grab something to eat and then will devote my time to researching some options for him. Please do not despair, with your determination and advocacy on his behalf there will be solutions. I will return as soon as possible. Linda

Expert:  Linda D. replied 11 months ago.

In your area the McGovern Medical Schools Behavioral Health and Psychiatry Services seem to be the most comprehensive and credible holistic services I have found in your area. They have been awarded awards and grants from some excellent institutions. I think you should give them a call and discuss your son and see if they can meet his needs and if not who they would recommend. The academic program you found for him at Texas Tech is an amazing opportunity. Does he meet their criteria? Just an fyi, if his struggles with focusing are due to adhd he will know almost immediately if he was to take a medication like Adderal or Ritalin. But the medication would most likely impact his sleep issue unless carefully prescribed. I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if I can help any further. I wish you and your son all the best. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC