Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am the most blessed person with the best wife and awesome…

Customer Question
I am the most...

I am the most blessed person with the best wife and awesome 6 month old son, I couldn't ask for more except I really can't enjoy what I'm so blessed to have because all I can ever do is think, dread, and feel my anxiety taking over my life. I literally feel like a prisoner in my own body who is also getting mentally and physically tortured at the same time. I have no reason to be suffering like this so much but it's something I've actually been dealing with since college where I did have a minor head injury which just makes me wonder if it's related. Either way I trully can't go thru like this

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

I was always outgoing and knew everyone in high school graduated in 2000 and went to college where I got jumped with bumps all over my head and a broken jaw. I never started thinking about this so much until I tried to think back of when my anxiety started to seem to not let me get out of my shell as much or be happy just being myself and not over analyzing everything so much. There trully doesn't seem to be a specific time when it's worse. It just seems constant even if I'm in a comfortable environment even by myself. And sometimes it will just keep escalating and escalating to the point I don't even know what's going to happen next. Like I said it seems to be fairly consistent as just always there but I can either notice it more when around people or I can at least recognize how it affects me.more by noticing I can't be any thing like myself and have to also.have a social anxiety problem

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I've talked to many different therapists/psychiatrist/psychologist for extended periods of time with no benefit. They seem to all just ask questions at first which I like to be able to explain and describe what I deal with hoping that they will say I know what the problem is, but obviously that doesn't happen. Then once I run out of telling my thoughts and story we just never seem to advance from there. It's like they run out of questions but we never get anything resolved. I have also tried many different medications. Most that have to build up over time and I try them for close to a year with no change so figure id rather not be on medication if it doesn't help. Buspirone, hydroxizine, so many others for anxiety and some for anxiety and depression. I was prescribed the small Xanax which did work but I got to the point also where I just didn't want to be so dependant on a medication and have to worry about always having to have them so thinking it was a wise decision I decided to take myself off and try/pray eventually I will be able to get over this anxiety. But unfortunately it has only progressed to the point, there is no on the fence of being on medication or not. Seems like I'm damned a little if I do, but right now, it's like I'm damned to hell for eternity if I don't. I felt Xanax was the most dangerous to be on tho, which is why preferably I'd rather stay away from that and try klonopin. I feel it's not as strong yet works better over all in a different way rather than making you more kind of out of it, instead of just helping call the anxiety down enough to help break out of the shell and the walls you mentally put up to help be more yourself with the ability to engage more fully

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Like I said. I've talked to a dozen professionals for over the course of well more than a decade. I've heard all they have to say, I've tried all they've suggested, I've tried all their medications. The one and only thing that I know is that at this moment in time benzodiazepines are the only thing that can help me. I know how this looks. I am being nothing more than 100% honest tho and all I can do is ask you to be my doctor and just please help me. Work is so hard when I work harder just trying to fit in and not let them see how uncomfortable I am. So.my question is, can you prescribe me a benzodiazepine, preferably not Xanax, but klonopin. I know they help.and could get some help.if a doctor would prescribe, but if not I cannot risk losing my job now that I have a kid to take care of.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/5/2017
Mental Health Professional: TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC replied 6 months ago
TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
This site does not provide prescriptions for medications. I am sorry that you feel that you cannot go to your local doctor for this. It sounds to me like you may be struggling with PTSD from the event in college and you deserve to feel better. I understand that you have seen many and tried many things without help but of course I always believe that there is hope. I am wondering if you have tried EMDR, a technique used with the therapist that has shown some wonderful results for people struggling with PTSD. I also wonder what kind of exercise or yoga routine you might be involved in that could also help with the anxiety. There are also other things that you can do when the anxiety hits such as relaxation and meditation and grounding techniques to bring you back to the present so that you are not consumed with this terrible anxiety. I believe that you deserve to feel better and still believe, even after seeing many, that things can be done for you and it may not be in the traditional sense of talk therapy but different techniques within it such as what I have mentioned above.
I also wonder if after all these yearsx mostly the symptom has been the focus and the symptom being anxiety and the root, which is this terrible event that took place for you in college, hasn't been at the forefront of the focus of your treatment. And it's more than just question asking it's really processing through the emotions and the fear and the subsequent fears you now feel.

I await your thoughts.