Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

OKMH124211 What is the vest way to prevent anxiety, gain…

OKMH124211 What is the vest...

OKMH124211 What is the vest way to prevent anxiety, gain more self confidence and get rid of tmj syndrome-sometimes teeth grinding affects night into daytime as a bad habit?

Answered in 1 hour by:
12/4/2017
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Thank you for reaching out to Just Answer! I am here to help you. Your question really involves three separate conditions although the TMJ can be related to high levels of stress or anxiety. Before I make some suggestions could you please give me a bit more information about yourself. Whatever you are comfortable sharing may help me to get to know you better and will help me to understand what will help you! I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, Linda

Hi Linda, I am an insurance professional and studying part time in the field of holistic nutrition. I consider myself an introvert bit don't mind attending activities with friends and church fellowship or ministries. I am a twin and have a younger brother. I lost my father four years ago due to lung cancer and it has been quite difficult. Each day gets easier for me but sometimea I find a get "lost" in the crowd and I find that I am not as engaging as other peers or circle of people or acquaintances. I find confidence I organizing a Christmas carollng group for a seniors home every year. Thanks for listening. In terms of medical history. Just became normal after five years of gerd, acid reflux by taking better care of what I eat. But I think tmj might be related to my bad eating habits, too fast or too much junk food etc....

Thank you for the additional information, it is helpful. Losing a parent is one of the most difficult life events we face, made even worse when it is due to such a serious disease. I want to give you information regarding stress/anxiety management which is so important for quality of life. I will share ideas in the next thread.

Thank you Linda, I appreciate you talking with me.

You welcome! Thank you for waiting, I unexpectedly had to help a client who was in an emergency situation. Here are some suggestions:

1). The most obvious one I am thinking of which may not apply to you but is often what people reach for when under stress invlve using alcohol, nicotine, caffeine or sugar to cope. You should avoid, or at least reduce, your consumption of nicotine and any drinks containing caffeine and alcohol. Caffeine and nicotine are stimulants and so will increase your level of stress rather than reduce it.

Alcohol is a depressant when taken in large quantities, but acts as a stimulant in smaller quantities. Therefore using alcohol as a way to alleviate stress is not ultimately helpful.

Swap caffeinated and alcoholic drinks for water, herbal teas, or diluted natural fruit juices and aim to keep yourself hydrated as this will enable your body to cope better with stress.

You should also aim to avoid or reduce your intake of refined sugars - they are contained in many manufactured foods (even in savory foods such as salad dressings and bread) and can cause energy crashes which may lead you to feel tired and irritable. In general, try to eat a healthy, well-balanced and nutritious diet, especially during times of stress.

2). Exercise/physically move your body. Stressful situations increase the level of stress hormones such as adrenaline and cortisol in your body.

These are the “fight or flight” hormones that evolution has hard-wired into our brains and which are designed to protect us from immediate bodily harm when we are under threat. However, stress in the modern age is rarely remedied by a fight or flight response, and so physical exercise can be used as a surrogate to metabolize the excessive stress hormones and restore your body and mind to a calmer, more relaxed state.

When you feel stressed and tense, go for a brisk walk in fresh air. Try to incorporate some physical activity into your daily routine on a regular basis, either before or after work, or at lunchtime. Regular physical activity will also improve the quality of your sleep.

3). Get more sleep. Stress also interrupts our sleep as thoughts keep whirling through our heads, stopping us from relaxing enough to fall asleep.

Rather than relying on medication, your aim should be to maximize your relaxation before going to sleep. Make sure that your bedroom is a tranquil oasis with no reminders of the things that cause you stress. Stop doing any mentally demanding work several hours before going to bed so that you give your brain time to calm down. Try taking a warm bath or reading a calming, undemanding book for a few minutes to relax your body, tire your eyes and help you forget about the things that worry you. You should also aim to go to bed at roughly the same time each day so that your mind and body get used to a predictable bedtime routine. A few more suggestions in the next thread.

4). Try Relaxation Techniques. Each day, try to relax with a stress reduction technique. There are many tried and tested methods that you can research online as well as calming guided relaxing meditation apps. that you can research. For example, try self-hypnosis which is very easy and can be done anywhere, even at your desk or in the car. One very simple technique is to focus on a word or phrase that has a positive meaning to you. Words such as "calm" "love" and "peace" work well, or you could think of a self-affirming mantra such as “I deserve calm in my life” or “Grant me serenity”. Focus on your chosen word or phrase; if you find your mind has wandered or you become aware of intrusive thoughts entering your mind, simply disregard them and return your focus to the chosen word or phrase. If you find yourself becoming tense again later, simply silently repeat your word or phrase. Don't worry if you find it difficult to relax at first. Relaxation is a skill that needs to be learned and will improve with practice.

5). Talk to Someone. Just talking to someone about how you feel can be helpful. Talking can work by either distracting you from your stressful thoughts or releasing some of the built-up tension by discussing it. Stress can cloud your judgement and prevent you from seeing things clearly. Talking things through with a friend, work colleague, or even a trained professional, can help you find solutions to your stress and put your problems into perspective.

6). and lastly, learn to Say ‘No’ A common cause of stress is having too much to do and too little time in which to do it. And yet in this situation, many people will still agree to take on additional responsibility. Learning to say “No” to additional or unimportant requests will help to reduce your level of stress, and may also help you develop more self-confidence. To learn to say “No”, you need to understand why you find it difficult. Many people find it hard to say “No” because they want to help and are trying to be nice and to be liked. For others, it is a fear of conflict, rejection or missed opportunities. Remember that these barriers to saying “No” are all self-created. You might feel reluctant to respond to a request with a straight “No”, at least at first. Instead think of some pre-prepared phrases to let other people down more gently. Practice saying phrases such as:

“I am sorry but I can’t commit to this as I have other priorities at the moment.”
“Now is not a good time as I’m in the middle of something. Why don’t you ask me again at….?”
“I’d love to do this, but.....................

I also want to attach a self help wellness chart that I consider to be the assets that we must all build into our lives to help reduce the likelihood that we will have symptoms of depression or anxiety. The more of these "assets" we can build into our lives the better. Tell me what you think. Linda

Great advice, especially I can relate to #4 & #5, really like the extra infographic as well. I want to change intake of sugary and caffeinated drinks as well to do more exercise like walking. That is the number one problem and inactivity causing sluggishness for me.
I do agree that the tmj was probably brought on by myself due to anxiety. I want to stop clenching teeth and worrying, not so much as depression though.
Thank you Linda. I will try out these recommendations to make most of these changes to improve the quality of life.
You are so welcome, I wish you all the best. Could you please take a moment to rate my service to you? I would greatly appreciate it! Linda
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Hi Linda, hope you are doing well on a Friday night. This is a more personal question, how did you get into psychotherapy? Just like to know a little more. Thanks.
Hello again! Thank you for waiting, pretty busy these days. ;^) I got into the field of helping others due to a close family member suffering from mental illness when I was young. I knew very early on that I was very, very curious about why people do what they do and what changes behavior and reduces suffering. I got my BA in Behavioral Science and Psychology, went to work right away, kept getting promoted to Administrative level positions supervising clinical services and then after raising my children as a single mom I went to Syracuse University to do graduate training to be a individual, group and family therapist. I now have a private practice and do Just Answer which I love.
You are amazing. That is quite a testimony. In case I do not renew the JA site and promo ends. Could you let me know another site where I could reach out to you. I understand if you cannot commit to this.

Thank you! I am so sorry I don't really use any other site than this one, but thank you for your kind words. It has been really good getting to connect with you here. I hope I get to hear from you again. Until then, take good care of yourself. :^)

Sure. Thanks, ***** ***** weekend!
Thanks Linda, it has been really great talking to you. I am fortunate to have found such a good therapist. Conversations are easily carried out in a natural flow! If I don't connect back to ja, then I wish you safe happy holidays to you and your family!!!

I wish the same for you with joy and peace. Linda