Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I keep thinking about what I did when I was younger, when I…

I keep thinking about what...
I keep thinking about what I did when I was younger, when I was about 6 I remeber like kissing almost making out with my two sisters, they were 5 and 4 then later when I was about 14-15 I developed late so I was just going through puberty. My sister developed really early and for some reason I wanted to know what her breasts looked like so one day I tried to see her getting out of the shower. Also I remeber I was watching porn and I wanted to know what breasts felt like, I went into my sisters room and while she was sleeping I put my hand over her breasts (she had full clothes on) and a then put my hand on top of her pants where her vagina was, I didn't do anything I just put my hand there. I knew what I was doing was wrong and I stoped and went to my room, I didn't do it again and forgot about it for a while, but I am 20 now and for the past 2 years I will occasionally think about it and feel a lot of guilt. I am scared I will never forget this. Is this normal for a kid at this age? How do I get over it?
12/2/2017
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello again and thank you for waiting. I want to reassure you that it is perfectly natural and common for siblings to be curious about what each others bodies look like, feel like, what kissing is like, etc. at the young ages of 4 through puberty. During puberty this curiosity and need to experiment intensifies and can be directed to pornography, friends, siblings, cousins, etc. until the male or female has a girlfriend or boyfriend that they can physically discover, touch, express sexual feelings with and experiment with. There is actually a per-occupation with sexual feelings and needs in adolescent years and it is 90% hormonal. Unfortunately hormones do not know the rules of the culture (which by the way can vary vastly from culture to culture) but you felt intuitively that you did not feel right about touching your sister, you stopped and did not do it again. You must have felt really curious about what breasts and a vagina area felt like and you decided to find out. This would be a normal desire on the part of a teenage boy. From a clinical perspective there is absolutely no reason to feel guilt or shame. You can let go of these feelings and leave the experience back in your teen years. I wish you all the best. Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

Thank you very much I felt like something was wrong with me because I am a pretty normal guy and when I think back to what happend I felt like I was the only person to have ever done something like this or the ones that do are twisted people

You are welcome and no there is nothing wrong with you other than you were blessed with healthy adolescent hormones. I'm glad you reached out to us. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it and am here for you if I can ever help again. Linda D.

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

I appreciate the positive rating and bonus. Best wishes for a happy, healthy holiday season.