Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I took half of a 0.25 Xanax for the 1st time. I was having a…

Customer Question
I took half of a...
I took half of a 0.25 Xanax for the 1st time. I was having a bad anxiety attack. I get nervous taking new meds and a couple minutes after taking the Xanax I threw up I was so worked. So not sure if I even ingested any of it. I felt a little calmer after but that may have been because the panic passed This was around12:45 EST. Im not sure if I shoulf take the other half? I really need to sleep. I am drinking a calming tea now that has L-theanine in it and wasnt sure if I can mix the both. My heart rate is normal now in the upper 70’s low 80’s but im still hearing it pound. Which gives me more anxiety. Im just not sure if I should take the orther half of xanax or wait.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mental Health
11/28/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 8 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi again, I am sorry that your questions don't get answers as quickly as you may need. How are you doing? Did you decide to take the other Xanax? Did you make it to work today?

-Leah

I did not take the other half. I stayed home from work today because Im just so exhausted.

I am sorry to hear this is happening to you. Anxiety and panic can feel very overwhelming. And, if this is withdrawal from stopping the Wellbutrin, it may stick around a little while longer - anxiety is a common side effect of stopping a medication like Wellbutrin. Anxiety is also an unfortunate symptom of being over-tired. Is there anything I can do to help you through this? My best piece of advice is to give yourself some credit for being as brave as you are, but also, make sure you don;'t let your anxiety boss you around too much. Anxiety can be very easily fed and fueled by your reaction to it so make sure you work against it by not listening to much t it. I know that is easier said then done, but even when the panic and symptoms are making you feel terrible, keep reminding yourself it is temporary - you are safe and will make it through this!

-Leah

Ive never taken Wellbutrin

Ohhh. Sorry!! I had a very similar conversation yesterday and just got that piece mixed up. Do you happened to know why you are generally feeling so anxious? Anything big going on in your life? Holiday stress?

I feel like im having major health anxiety and also im seeing a trend with my anxiety when it is around my cycle. I have gone to ER a couple times for panic attacks and my EKGs & bloodwork have all been good. I have followed up with cardiologist to be safe and all checked out good. When im in this anxiety/panic state and my heart feels like it is beating out of my chest I cant seem to handle it and spirals my anxiety/panic even more. I feel like since my 1st panic attack that I always feel my heartbeat/pound even when im trying to relax and my heart rate isnt high. I know my health anxiety is making me hyper focused on it. I just cant seem to stop it.
I also have a fear of taken meds that is why I was concerned about the Xanax.

Thank you for replying. This is a very common thing for people who suffer from heart-related symptoms of anxiety ad I Know it feels very scary. I am actually a social worker specializing in cardiac medicine and see it daily. I think what you have to realize is that the racing heart is just a bummer of a symptom of anxiety and nothing more. think of it like you would a common cold. If you have a cold, you may have a cough, stuffy nose, sore throat, et. those are not pleasant symptoms and may be scary, but you are easily able to recognize them to be symptoms of the cold and not worry too much. Racing hear is just a symptom of your anxiety and nothing more. So when it does ome on, note that your panic/anxiety is acting up but you have had everything checked and are fine. And make sure to note it will be temporary. the more "calmly" and confidently you address the anxiety, panic attacks, and symptoms, the less bothersome they will become and then they will dissipate in terms of both duration and intensity.

I hear you have a fear of taking meds. Have you ever considered counseling to help get ahead of the panic and anxiety?

It is more the pounding of my heart. Even when it isnt racing the pounding of it gets to me. I feel like it is a constant pound. I feel like after my 1st panic attack I became super focused on it and I cant seem to turn my mind off from feeling & hearing it. I am seeing a therapist on Friday. I feel like I have always been anxious & a worrier but this constant anxiety and panic attacks has really thrown me for a loop. It is all very new to me- just started a few months ago. I have also been trying to handle it without meds. Using essential oils, calming teas, deep breathing since im afraid of meds. Last night I took half of a 0.25 of Xanax because I literally couldnt take it anymore but by that point I was so worked up I threw up after I took it. I going to have to try it again this evening so I can try and get sleep.

Yes. The Xanax is a good temporary choice for helping you get some ast relief and I want you to know it is okay to take it right now to help you trough. The therapist appointment is great, too. Good job for getting on that. Since this isn't a long-term issue for you, I hope you will find some quick relief with the help of the therapist.

And yes, over-awareness of physical sensations in our body can prove stressful and anxiety-provoking. The therapist should be able to teach you ways to redirect your focus away from the heart. Hopefully you can focus on learning ways to think objectively about the way you are feeling. By this, i mean focus on the facts, not the subjective feelings and thoughts you are having. the facts here are that 1) you have anxiety/panic and a symptom of that is a pounding heart, 2) you have been checked and your heart is healthy and 3) there is nothing dangerous about noticing your heart. Can you think of other ways to be logical (as opposed to emotional) when you look at the symptoms you are having?

Hi just checking back since this question is still open due to being unrated. How are you? How did you therapy session go? Can I help further?