Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have yet to respond to a medication that will even touch

my depression and anxiety. I...
I have yet to respond to a medication that will even touch my depression and anxiety. I can't hardly leave the house. My anxiety is at it's worse and I feel like I'm running out of options. I'm highly considering giving up on treatment, since it has not worked for me. I don't know how much longer I can take this.
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Also, I self-poison by taking too much medicine. It's my way of self harming and to cope. I don't want to continue this behavior and I feel like I lose control and can't stop myself at times. Is this behavior outrageous and why can't I stop even though I want to?
11/24/2017
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe that I can help you with your query.
Please kindly mention all the drugs that you have tried so far so that I can help you with a potent combination to counter your Depression and anxiety.
Regards
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin, Latuda, Ativan, Trazadone, Hydroxyzine, Seroquel XR and Gabapentin.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I currently take Zoloft and Seroquel.
Thanks for the inputs.
Well, I can see that you have been tried on a lot many drugs but unfortunately a right combination is yet to be used to take care of your Depression and anxiety. Well I have a few options that I would like you to consider and discuss with your doctor. These are as mentioned below :-
1) The doctor shall consider adding a mood stabilizer such as Lamictal at dose of 25 mg once a day and also add klonopin as an anti anxiety agent at dose of 0.25 mg twice a day that is morning and evening doses. The rest two medications such as zoloft and Seroquel shall be continued as it is. Kindly continue this for continuous 2-3 weeks and see the change in your anxiety and Depression and after that we shall discuss the future course of action. This is my first preference out of my various options that I have for you.
2) Another option is to continue with the present medications but increase the dose of zoloft gradually to 150 mg / day and Seroquel to 200 mg / day.Add to this Klonopin at dose of 0.25 mg twice a day. And lastly ask your doctor to find you a facility where rTMS ( repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation ) is carried out and you take at least 6-8 sittings of this treatment both for Depression and anxiety. This machine works by using a magnetic field developed externally through magnets over your head to stimulate certain areas within your brain which are associated with Depression. It is a relatively new technique which has given good results specially in depression and anxiety also.
3) If all the above options fail then ask your doctor to use a combination called as California Rocket Fuel which entails two antidepressants namely venlafaxine and Mirtazapine and this combination had been found effective in recurrent and stubborn depressive Illnesses.
I hope this makes sense and gives you plenty to talk about with your doctor and hopefully your prescribing doctor would use one of them to help you overcome these conditions.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist