Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My primary care doctor gave me a sort of diagnosis for adult…

Customer Question
Hello, my primary care...

Hello, my primary care doctor gave me a sort of diagnosis for adult add but because that isn't in her expertise. We've been spending almost two years trying to find the right meds (side note: I also have had depression since I was 16) I m currently taking venlafaxine , trazadone, bupropion, trazadone and finally Clonazepam. My mental state is way beyond I thought I would reach; but I have a very demanding job and I can't even finish any tasks that are given to me Jesus I sometimes even have the motivation to take a shower every day and I just have piles and piles of stuff I have to go through but All those seem so hard and I can't make myself do anything but lay down. I'm desperate its affecting my job and I can't afford to be fired. I don't know what to do.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

Well I was diagnosed with depression when I was 16 but I can't really remember feeling any other way. I started to get panic attacks when I was in high school but since then it only hit me once in a while. I believe I always had adult add but my doctors I went to 4 of then and spoke with 2 counselors. I finally found my current doctor and she is amazing but she always tells me she has tried everything and nothing seems to be working to get my mental clarity and energy up. So she referred me to a psychiatrist in the same building but to be honest it is impossible for me to speak person so I just shut

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

When I was 16 I had tried to commit suicide glad to say I've never had a thought about trying again because of the treatment I received at the hospital. I also quit seeing any type of counselor because I chose to swallow pills and all she did was write me another prescription for it. So I gave up on getting help for almost 10 years.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mental Health
11/22/2017
Mental Health Professional: John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC) replied 8 months ago
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)

Welcome to JustAnswer! I am a Licensed Professional Counselor. I am reviewing your question and will reply in a moment.

I have had adhd all of my life. It was very frustrating for me as a child. I struggled in school. It was a time when they, or didn't even know what adhd was. I have tried several meds through my life. None of the meds you mentioned are meant for adhd. More common meds are Ritalin, adderal, and Strattera. I have learned to adapt without meds. One thing I do is tackle one task at time, I set myself a schedule and follow it. Mainly, try not to see it as a curse, but instead a gift. I can generally do more than the average person if I keep to my schedule. I'm not saying medication may not help. but there are other things to try.as well. You might give both a try, You definitely done want to trust any of the meds you listed for your adhd,