Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My Mother is 86 years old and an attorney I am working with…

Hello, my name is...

Hello, my name is ***** ***** Mother is 86 years old and an attorney I am working with has requested a competency evaluation. She is in serious financial trouble which has gone on for years because she gives money to my brother ( an addict) whenever h ask for example she has given him over 1,800.00 in less than two months. She owns a business that is failing and we are trying to sell her house now so I can move her in with me to take care of her. She writes checks out of her home and business accounts and doesn’t even know how much money she has in them. My question is can I talk to whoever does the evaluation first. Mom does not acknowledge that she has in problems. She will not be honest.

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

I’m stressed trying to juggle money and give her money to pay her personal bills. No I’m not sleeping much. I am trying to give her a better quality of life and move her close to me so I can help her. She also doesn’t eat or take her medication right.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

For myself. I have been on disability for chronic pain and some other health issues but that doesn’t stop me. I go strong every day taking care of my house, all of moms financials as well as right now I am also the only one taking care of her business. Things would be easier for me if I could have her debt paid off and Mom with me so I can really take care of her.

Doctor's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Ok

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I have lived with chronic pain since I was 28 years old. I worked until I was 53 years old running a medical office until I was unable to continue. I see a pain specialist. I have epidurals in my neck thoracic and lower back all. As well as both knees and shoulders. What does my pain have to do with my question about moms evaluation.

11/20/2017
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

Yes, you can talk to the the person doing your mother's evaluation before the evaluation starts. Just let them know at the time you make the appointment or before you go that you suspect your mother is having issues with being honest about her situation and that you would like to add your thoughts and experience before she has her evaluation. You can also ask if you are allowed to sit in with your mother while she is evaluated. You may need her permission to do so however.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on anything.

I hope this has helped you,

MaryAnn

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Thank you, ***** ***** primary care doctor do this or should a mental health professional do this?

Her primary doctor can assess physical issues, but for mental or emotional issues a qualified mental health therapist is more likely a better choice. You can talk to her doctor or your doctor about a referral, or you can contact your local community mental health center or university if it has a psychology department. Your mother's insurance company may also have possible referrals you can try.

MaryAnn

Ok thank you, ***** ***** has been very helpful.

I am so sorry, but I am unable to accept phone calls due to where I am. My apologies.

MaryAnn

You are very welcome! Anytime.

MaryAnn

My checking account was deducted 50.00 for the phone call will that be refunded please.

You can contact customer service and they will take care of that for you. Experts are not able to handle money issues or site issues. I am unsure why it charged you for the phone call since I declined the option. I am sorry for that.

MaryAnn

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist
Ok thank you I will contact them.

I looked at the Expert board and it looks like the phone request was opened to all Experts. It is now a separate request from our conversation. I'm sorry that happened. I'm sure customer service can help, but I will forward our conversation to Just Answer as well so you can get help. Thank you for your rating!

Please let me know if I can help any time.

Take care,

MaryAnn

JohnMichaels,MS,LPC
Phone call session started