Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My daughter is depressed. Do you have someone she can talk…

My daughter is depressed...

My daughter is depressed. Do you have someone she can talk to?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

She has a therapist she has been seeing.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

History of depression. she is 14

Hello???
11/19/2017
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
I could talk to her. I am an loc and have been working with kids for thirty plus years. Do you wAnt to set up a call or do it on here?
Sure, lets talk here
Ok, is she on?
yup! it's me now. how are you?
I am fine! The question is, how are you?
i'm actually not doing very well haha. i was diagnosed with depression and i am feeling very sad right now. i'm sad because i don't feel that i'm good enough.
Tell me about yourself. What you are good at and what you like doing.
i really enjoy singing and reading, and i like to be around my friends. i think i'm good at making people happy and at doing well in school
Now, I do need to Lou t out this is not too confidential. It is actually public but your name will not be revealed. It might be good if your mom promised not to read it.
can you tell me why?
Oh, if your Ok with her seeing it, I am. I just want you to be open without fear of her interfering.
okay, that makes sense.
I like music too by the way. Making people smile is s good quality. What kind of music do you like ? Are you in choir or what?
i am in choir! i listen to a lot of music such as punk and sometimes what is on the radio, i also love classic rock.
Oh geez, I love classic rock! Of course I grew up in the 70’s, so I guess that is only natural. But I went to school as a music major and even like classical music, so I would have liked whatever you said. I even like blue grass lol. I really like aero smith though.
cool!! i really like them as well
tell me why you feel your not good enough?
hm, for some reason i always feel as if im just not enough for people. i try in school but i get C's, and im not good at having good relationships with friends. i just feel like i let people down
All you can do is what you can do. If it helps you, it gets better when you get older. I made lo grades in school as well, ended up graduating with a ged. I still went to college though and majored music , with a full ride scholarship. I eventually went to grad school and got my masters in counseling.
that did help me feel better thank u! that inspired me a lot
Social life is much better in college too. I didn’t really date much until I was in college. Met my wife there. The in crowd from hs finds out there is no such thing in college.
that makes sense, it's probably easier to talk to people as you will have grown up too
Well, in college or career training you go to classes that match your major, so you around students or people with like interests. That helps a bunch.
yeah! so then it would be much easier to make friends that are interested in similar things
Yep
i have a question if you dont mind
Go ahead
do you have any advice for helping deal with panic attacks or anxiety? i have them frequently but i dont know how to deal
When do you have them most frequently? Night time or day? What seems to trigger them?
usually they are at night when i go to bed or when i am in a crowded place. i dont think theyre from triggers because they pop up in my head
you don’t worry about anything specific? You just get this since of panic over you?
Sense
yeah, thats usually what it is. a state of panic or worry but not really over anything
I really do understand. I have been there myself and nighttime seems to be the culprit. When I was your age I couldn’t sleep because if anxiety. As I got older, I would go to sleep but waken around 2 in a state of panic. I have done some things that help me...
what did youdo to help? and its reassuring to hear it happens to others, but sorry u had to go through it!
1. I don’t fight them. The harder you fight, the worse they get.
2. I change rooms. I might go to the couch. Anything to break to pattern
3. I try to think about the positive things I life. I do t fight the negative thoughts. I just focus on the positive.
those are good tips
i will try them
4. I try a breathing exercise as such: i sit up straight in a chair with my hands I my lap. I breath in through my teeth for a count of 4-5, then hold for about 4-5 and let it out through my teeth for 4-5. That will just about put you to sleep if you do it right.
i will use that! i use breathing exercises often to help
5. If all that fails, waken your mom or somebody to be with you. If that isn’t feasible, this is a good time to snuggle with a cat or stuffed animal.
6. Get a weighted blanket. If you do t know what I am speaking of look on the internet. Very helpful!
i do that often! sometimes i talk to my friends when im anxious and they usually help :) i do spend tme with my cat when im sad and that helps a lot
See, you do much of this. I hope I have helped you some.
you have! i feel a lot less sad now and you are great to talk to
Well, thank you! I am ussually available. Just have your mom request me for you. Now, would you do me a favor. Have your mom or you give me a five star rating. It’s embarassi g to ask that, but that’s how I get paid.
thank u! and sure because you were very helpful. i do have to go now but thank you i hope you have a good day
Thank you and your welcome.
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
My thoughts from what I am reading is you do need to respect her wishes. If you are ever going to be a part of her life you probably need to back off and let her come to you. It’s kind of like when your pet dog rubs off. If you rub after him he just rubs faster and further. The key to catching him is sitting on the curb and make it inviting by throwing meat out. If you want her back, you need to sit on the curb and wait. Hopefully she will come back to you. Before you do this, you might get word to her that you love her and want the best for her. She has had a rough life. It sounds like you have been her one stable. If you will be patient, she will come seeking that stability.
That last was supposed to have been posted elsewhere. Sorry.