Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Does Zoloft cause weight gain? My doctor increased my dosage…

Does Zoloft cause weight gain...
Does Zoloft cause weight gain? My doctor increased my dosage from 100 to 150 mg/day a few weeks ago. I’ve been gaining weight. I don’t want to trade one problem for a different problem. At least when I’m moody my weight is good. Pls advise!
11/19/2017
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
Please kindly tell me have you got your thyroid levels checked ?
I will get back to you once you answer my question.
Regards
I have in the past and they were normal. Not super recently. I will soon but probably in a week or two because my doctor also ordered various tests but not because of my weight just to monitor things in general but I haven’t had a chance yet.
Thanks for the inputs
Well, you see Zoloft can cause changes in appetite and weight that means in some it may lead to weight loss while in others there may be weight gain, this is because different body types respond differently to this drug molecule. So if you are having weight gain then it could very well be due to Zoloft however first get the thyroid levels checked and rule out thyroid dysfunction so that it becomes more clearly indicative of Zoloft being the reason behind your weight gain. Sometimes the weight gain is dose related also meaning that at some doses mostly lower doses the weight remains constant but at higher doses the weight increment may occur. So ask your doctor to bring you down to 125 mg dose ( 100 + 25 mg tabs ) and maintain you on it for 2 weeks meanwhile weekly try to weigh yourself so as to see if there is any We that gain on this dose ( there may not be reduction in the already gained weight which will require you to do exercise and diet planning ) , if there is no weight gain you may continue taking it. Also discuss with your doctor to introduce a drug called as buspar at dose of 5 mg three times a day because this will Assist Zoloft in managing your symptoms without you having to raise the dose of zoloft above 100 mg and also without causing any further weight gain.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist