Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

What causes mental hang ups? My mother has a hang up that…

Customer Question
What causes mental hang...

What causes mental hang ups? My mother has a hang up that each morning she will not pee. 20 years ago she had a uti and ever since then she has measured her liquid intake and how much she voids each time she goes to the restroom, its been so bad that it has taken over her life to the point she will not go out anywhere if its gonna interfere with the scheduled times she thinks she should be peeing? Is there anything i can do to help her stop this

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No and no meds

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/16/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 8 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** would be concerned that your mother has OCD as this behavior is significantly taking a toll on her life. Hypochondria, or extreme concern/focus on one's health, falls in line with OCD and anxiety disorders which sometimes can be the result of something traumatic happening.

The ideal treatment for OCD is a type of therapy called Exposure and Response Prevention (a derivation of cognitive behavioral therapy) and medications.

Do you think your mother would consider talking to someone about this problem? Do you think she would, at least. bring it up to he primary care doctor, so they could make an appropriate referral to the right behavioral health specialist?

-Leah

Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 7 months ago

Hi, just checking back since this question remains open since it is unrated. Can I help further?

-Leah