Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Can stress in the workplace cause indigestion, stomach upset…

Can stress in the...

Can stress in the workplace cause indigestion, stomach upset and bloating?

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

It's been bothering me for quite some time. no vomiting.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

I take medication for depression and anxiety.

11/16/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** answer to your question is yes. Stress can absolutely affect our physical health and GI symptom are among the most common physical symptoms of stress and also anxiety. This is because of a complex interplay of parts of our brain and our GI functioning that often get impaired or impacted when the brain perceives stress or anxiety. It is also thought to be "bidirectional" because GI symptoms also cause stress, so there can be a cyclical nature to the problem.

What kinds of things do you do, besides take medication, to help manage your stress, anxiety, and depression?

-Leah

Nothing really. The last time I had my meds renewed I saw a new provider because the one I was seeing left. I don't feel she allowed me to explain where my anxiety was coming from and told me to see a counselor/psychiatrist. It so happens I will be seeing someone else next time because this provider is now leaving also. Long story short I lost my husband 4 years ago and that was when this started however I think I have dealt with that as well as anyone would expect. My kids would even agree. The depression seems to have improved over time but the anxiety not so much. I'm pretty sure it's the situation at work. Under new management in the last year and believe me I'm not the only one that's unhappy!! That combined with being a widow and knowing I will eventually have to sell my house when the life insuance runs out and that is a bit depressing and making me feel anxious as I really don't know where I'm going.
Lunch break is over.
Thanks for responding!

Hi! Thank you for those details. I am sorry to hear about the loss of your husband and the upcoming things your still have to face in regards ***** ***** loss. I am also sorry to hear about the day-to-day stress in you job. Hopefully, the next doctor you see will give you the chance to explain your anxiety and carefully consider whether a medication, like an SSRI (aka antidepressant) is worth trying. The SSRIs also treat anxiety so generally, if you know you are feeling unsettled/worried often, then a medication can help mitigate against this. But I also agree with your other doctor that seeing a mental health professional to talk about your stress may be a HUGE help for you maybe to the point where medication wouldn't even be necessary. So please do consider if now would be a good time to consider that addition. Here is a great site to see who is a potential therapist in your community... https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

Also, here is a link to a blog I wrote to give you some immediate strategies to implement to help control your anxiety. These are great for places like the work environment where you can just take a couple of minutes to put them to use. http://healthblog.uofmhealth.org/wellness-prevention/3-easy-exercises-for-anxiety-relief-you-can-use-anywhere You could also consider some self-help treatment strategies for anxiety such as here https://www.anxietybc.com/self-help, but again, I really bet that if you do follow through with some meetings with a counselor, you may be able to unload a lot of your stress which could provide much relief.

I am here to chat more if you'd like!

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker