Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have a new job. It's highly stressful and I work hours…

I have a...

I have a new job. It's highly stressful and I work long hours sometimes 15 a day. I'm starting to have what I think are panic stacks. What do I do?

Doctor's Assistant: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?

I definitely have trouble falling asleep and then I wake up several times with dreams that leave my heart pounding and I'm sweaty.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

I just feel nervous all the time. I don't really have any medical usurps except I'm starting to have trouble moving my bowels.

My heart pounds and I feel an impending doom and I start sweating and get headaches. This all started a few months ago when I started my new job. I thought it would get better, but it's getting worse.
11/16/2017
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe that I can help you with your query.
Well, yes from your description of your symptoms it does appear as if you are suffering from panic attacks. So if you want to control and overcome them then I would suggest that you get started on a combination of lexapro ( escitalopram ) at dose of 10-20 mg once a day and Klonopin ( clonazepam ) at dose of 0.25 -0.5 mg twice a day. Whike the former is an anti depressant which will manage your stress and overthinking leading to panic attacks , the latter o the other hand is an anti anxiety drug which will prevent panic attacks from occurring or manage them promptly if at all they develop. The course of these two drugs shall be continued under the guidance of a psychiatrist for at least 3-4 months for you to get completely free from this anxiety attacks aka panic attacks. The fact that you have developed the panic attacks owing to poor ability to adjust in the new office atmosphere suggests that you seemingly have poor coping skills against stressful events and hence I suggest that once you have recovered fully then after that you may seek therapy from a clinical psychologist such as CBT to learn coping skills for fighting against stress.
I hope this helps.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Thank you. I am currently visiting family out of town, but I live in the Nashville Tennessee area. Should I just pick a psychiatrist? I don't really want to discuss this with people at work or my friends.