Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I'm concerned that fighting an screaming at a neighbouring

Customer Question
Hi. I'm concerned that...
Hi. I'm concerned that fighting an screaming at a neighbouring Public Housing which mostly has drug addicts and prostitutes may have adverse effects on children at our apartment complex who will doubtless be woken to these fights during the night. Also concerned at effect on adults as well.
JA: How is your mood? Are you experiencing regular sleep disturbances (e.g. trouble falling asleep, waking up early)?
Customer: I'm on the oter side and don't hear them at al.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: You are not getting it. I am concerned for others - not me.
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Mental Health
11/16/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 24 days ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is ***** ***** I apologize for the engagement with our robo-responder. I agree you have reason to be concerned for the well-being of the children if they are in an environment where they are exposed to ongoing fights and yelling. This would signify to their brains that there is threat or danger and that possible feeling of threat may impact their development affecting their general security, trust, and feelings of normal/typical behaviors.

With that being said, children are very resilient and usually will be okay if they have positive love from at least one sturdy and trustworthy adult in their life, and have their basic needs met. In a perfect world, children would not be exposed to threats of this nature or other things which affect them having their needs met in full, but most people do have adverse childhood events (abuse, exposure to violence, trauma, exposure to drug use, mental illness in the home, insecurity of one need or another, etc.) and are able to cope effectively. However, there are strong correlations between the number of adverse childhood events and problems with adjustment later in life. Certainly, what you describe would be considered such an event.

-Leah

Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 20 days ago

Hi, just checking back since this question remains open since it is unrated. Can I help further?

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker