Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My 15 year old son has been diagnosed with Asperger's,

Customer Question
My 15 year old...

My 15 year old son has been diagnosed with Asperger's, diagnosed at 5 years old, has treated with therapy and diet and medications. Currently his major issue is anxiety, mainly around social situations, but it pours into everyday things too, school work, chores, etc. His Psych Dr. has prescribed him Zoloft and he was on it for about a year and a half. He did well at first but then started to decline into depression until finally he began have suicidal ideation and plan. The Zoloft was discontinued and he's been off medication for about 4-5 months now, except for Vistaril PRN. The Vistaril was working fairly well but now he's exhibiting more anxiety and actually says that the Vistaril isn't working. He's been having more social encounters and stress lately, maybe that's why the increase in anxiety? Anyway, we notified the Dr. and she put him on Buspar 10mg to start. He hasn't had any yet, just got the script yesterday. What are you thoughts on this medication for teens in his situation? I'm a little leary.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

About 2 years. Yes, any type of social activity, whether it's visiting relatives or going to the store, going to school, hanging with friends, online gaming with friends

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

We did have him in the ER for the suicidal ideation with plan. He went to a school for Autism between the ages of 8 and 10 and it was a very traumatic time for him. At first he seemed to blossom but then he started to decompensated quickly. We are just now finding out that there was some abuse going on, both physical and mental, that he wasn't able, or willing?, to tell us about back then He is in counseling, has been for about 3 years

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mental Health
11/16/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 8 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a Psychiatrist and i believe that i can help you with your query.

Well, if he is depressed and feels suicidal then there is a definite need for use of a potent anti depressant since buspar although has some anti depressant effects but it is more of an anti anxiety drug and it will take 1-2 weeks for it to start its effect against anxiety, but it shall not be ideal for countering his suicidal and self harm thoughts which are occurring due to underlying depression.

So i would like suggest that you ask his doctor to use a potent anti depressant medication like lexapro at dose of 10-20 mg / day or paxil cr at dose of 12.5 -25 mg twice a day. Either of these will be able to help his self harm thoughts and depression and anxiety as well, besides the benefits shall last longer. You can use buspar 10 mg twice a day for few weeks after which it can be withdrawn since by that lexapro or paxil cr would have reached its peak action and would ahve taken over his depression and anxiety.

I hope this makes sense and gives you a sense direction to move in as far as your son's treatment is concerned.

Please do discuss this with his prescribing doctor and hopefully he will consider prescribing these medications.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards