Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

OKMH1115211 To a Female Therapist for Relationships: Because

OKMH1115211 To a Female Therapist...

OKMH1115211 To a Female Therapist for Relationships: Because it is a very involved issue, I need to paraphrase my question. I have also included a link to the entire conversation with Dr. G. of JustAnswer on this issue. If you could better use a narrative, I can provide it. I have known, very well, a young lady, Ru, who is a physical therapist at a clinic where I have been a patient since early June 2017. In the beginning, we shared "friend-like" information with each other since she began working there in early July. We even began teasing each other despite the fact that she has a boyfriend on the outside (she never told me about that). My allowed physical therapy sessions were exhausted in mid September and, without the availability of more PT sessions, I began hurting. I had pain and no idea how I could continue with sessions on a "patient-pay" basis at that point. I needed to reach out to "vent" and, because Ru is absolutely the most compassionate person I know, I sent her a letter....not complaining about pain....but giving her the same compliments in writing that I just told her in person shortly before. Sending a letter (about anything) at that time was as useful as venting. Ru's and my best conversation occurred on October 2nd. She suggested then that I may consider coming back to visit after my allowed sessions are exhausted. It sounded like our relationship was heading for a large move forward. BUT, because I was so sensitive to the fact that I am considerably older than Ru and could be accused of "stalking", I refused to question her about her personal contact information and I sent that letter to her attention at the clinic as the only address I had for her. BIG MISTAKE! My letter was received right after our 10/2 conversation. I came to visit as planned on 10/11 but both Ru and her boss confronted me....not about the letter....but about coming for a visit. Apparently, visits from past patients are not allowed. Surprisingly, after a week or so, whenever I came for my patient-pay therapy visits, Ru would call across the therapy room saying something like "HeyCustomer How've you been" If I could give her a short answer, I did but I hesitated because I wanted to apologize for sending that letter. Her behavior changed as of last week. During my last visit on 11/7, she paid very little attention to me, only looking at me once quickly over her glasses. I interpreted it as a planned ignoring of me....like I am a "persona non-grata". I will going to the clinic and likely seeing her again this Thursday, 11/16. Not seeing her each week any more is detrimental but I believe her boss, who recruited her and is her mentor, will no longer let her work with me at the clinic. Not only is that a problem now, but I am scheduled have therapy twice a week at the clinic for the first 18 weeks in 2018. As far as I am concerned, I did nothing to earn this treatment. So, I was considering what to do. Should I go talk with her boss? If so, should I invite Ru to accompany me since she would be a large part of the conversation. It seems that she is EXTREMELY short of "street smarts" and not able to determine what to do on her own. Yet, if there is any chance of reviving even just a civil relationship between us, I want to do it. AFTER MY PROBABLE ENCOUNTER WITH HER ON THURSDAY, A CALL WITH YOU MAY BE IN ORDER. Thank you.CustomerRandecker THREAD: https://my-secure.justanswer.com/question/index/86b35602b9f74a6fbf9f8ac4d8317555?al=1&r=nte%7C2017-10-16_pdcJaUsTrxAnswerNotify%7Cln=viewanswer_bu&utm_source=sys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=answer_notify&utm_content=viewanswer_bu&rpt=1020

11/16/2017
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is Leah. I was not able to read through your lengthy conversation but do want to give you an honest and fresh take based on what you shared with me today. Just like most other professions who have a ethical responsibility to take care of their patients, physical therapist's code of ethics states they shall not engage in intimate relationships with patients. It sounds like both Ru and her boss became understanding of the fact that your interests with her lie outside of professional - it sounds like you like her and are interested in a more intensive relationship than patient-provider. Because of this and because of the fact you expressed this interest in writing, (even if not directly) it is the correct thing for her manager to ensure her professional boundaries are maintained and he may have chosen to do this by keeping her off your case. This is especially true if you are going to continue to be an active patient there.

Also, you mention being significantly older and the fact that she has a boyfriend. Both of these things further indicate that your interest in her may not be suited to the situation and her manager may be seeking to protect her from any complications that may arise.

I hear how much you like and respect her but it would be my advice to you that you seek to maintain a professional relationship only moving forward. Talking to her boss whether or not you include Ru may only muddy the waters and may run risk to her job security and your standing as a patient. If this proves too painful for you or you are not sure you can do so without continuing to wish to explore something more, Iwould suggest transferring your case to another office and avoiding the conflict all together.

My apologies if this is tough to hear but i wanted to be honest to protect you from further pain or confusion.

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you!
Well, at the very least, your information clarified one major question: How come, even after she received my letter in early October, Ru continued to try to get my attention in the therapy room until around November 1st? That is when I noticed she stopped saying, "Hey,Customer how've you been?" I thought that letter was a turn-off because her boss likely read it too. But after an initial "cold shoulder", she was cordial with me again. Instead of trying to figure out what I can do besides apologize, maybe going forward, I should just be there when my appointments occur and let the pieces fall where they may.It would have been nice if Ru if had told me what the problem with communicating was. Of course, she never told me that she had a boyfriend either. I only found out when she and her boss were talking with the clinic's accountant. When they were trying to fix Ru up, she said "I have someone" but when asked about if she and he lived together, she said "No.I don't want him and he doesn't live with his parents because they don't want him either". That plus the fact that she only talked about him in terms of his earning potential and that he can pay for her future education....in contrast, she and I have had many emotional connections and, in my mind, feelings is the bot***** *****ne in personal relationships.Since, practically speaking, Ru and I had not even come close to doing anything inappropriate nor was her work impaired by any fraternization between us, I will still look forward to January when I have been instructed to have 18 weeks of twice per week therapy sessions. I don't plan on initiating anything but I know how busy the clinic is.....on M, W and F.......and they have a limited number of therapists and techs. So let's see if Ru will be forced to work with me at times. If that happens, how will management react? Hire more therapists? I understand their position but since we never created a problem. there should be a rational approach at some point.

Hi, thank you for the rating and reply. It will definitely be interesting to see if you and Ru's paths cross directly as 18 weeks is a long time! (I hope your therapy helps you!) And I agree that no boundaries were in fact crossed, so being too constrictive on the part of the manager would be a mistake. But you also don't know if there is more to the story either...perhaps Ru has attracted attention before and so the manager is more proactive/cautious? Regardless, you and her have an emotional connection but as far as the patient-provider relationship, that is where it has to lay for now. I know that is frustrating!

-Leah

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you for your responses. Being in a "limbo" is depressing at times and some of your answers/contributions are uplifting.Ru knew her manager before starting at the clinic so, unless she did something before starting there that would have tipped her manager off,she has no "track record" of creating problems. Both she and her manager are of Indian decent.....Ru having been born here and her manager in India. I believe they live in the same neighborhood. The Indian families I know tend to maybe overly protect their off spring which may account for Ru being a little naive and behind the street smart curve. But all of that is part of the attraction I have for Ru. Starting the second week of her employment at the clinic, she would come in and immediately either stand next to the treadmillI I was on or sit on the floor next to it, telling me of her weekend activities,etc. After the second week, she came in and announced that she had a new car....... a 2011 Hyundai Ellentra and said she was planning to give all her friends a ride in her car. In a sort of teasing manner, I asked whether she would give me a ride. Without hesitation, she said"yes". I felt that she must already consider me a friend after only knowing me for two weeks. But then, I immediately felt concern for her. Why would she be willing to give me a ride after only two weeks? For all she knew, I could be a stalker, a rapist or kidnapper! Anyway that started the ball rolling in my feelings for Ru.My next appointment at the clinic is next Tuesday. That would mark two weeks since I was there. It always seemed that the longer I am away, the more attention I would get from her. I really want to see if that continues or if whatever she was told about fraternizing with patents still dominates her thinking. My guess is that it will still be utmost in her mind........especially if her manager is there. I will not hesitate to waive at her is she looks my way to see if I get at least the little finger waive back that she's become famous for in my mind.She is graduating from UIC in December. She told me that she stayed home the entire Labor Day weekend to finish her final paper and she's made it clear that she is looking forward to"walking"then. I also planned to give her a graduation card and gift before her graduation. Given the circumstances though, I can't mail it so I have asked my business associate if she would just take it and place it under Ru' windshield wiper shortly before Ru's workday ends in early December. I won't even need to sign it or just sign it with "Guess who"or "from your personal Persona Non-grata" or something similar. The card I picked out mostly mirrors the compliments I gave her verbally in September and the letter from October so I think that would be a give away that it was from me. Also without signing it, I could deny having any part in it, should push come to shove.I hate doing that stuff and hate it even more that I don't deserve the way I have been treated, regardless of whose idea it is. But I have to resign myself to knowing that nothing likely will occur until 18 week session in January, if then.Thanks for reading this.CustomerRandecker

HiCustomer apologies for the delays. My sister got married this weekend so we have had a lot going on. I know your wish to leave this gift for Ru is just a good-hearted gesture. I would bet though, that once again, she has a policy against taking gifts from clients so you may put her in an awkward position as to what to do with the gift, Ideally, you would furnish this gift to her after your time as a patient commences, but it sounds like you have your mind made up on the plan, even though it doesn't feel ideal to you.

I hope things work out for the best!

-Leah

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Actually, given the awkward situation, my plan is to just give her an unsigned card. However, like I said, she will likely recognize the printed message as being almost what I told her personally and included in my October letter. I don't know if that qualifies as a "gift"or not.
Right now, I am just curious if Ru will do anything to acknowledge a wave or hello gesture I make this coming Tuesday. That may tell me if the latest ignoring is from the first debacle with my letter from October or if it is from a more recent warning. If she not only acknowledges me but will talk, I have to find out why she continued to try to get my attention during each of my visits before Nov 1 and not at all after Nov1.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi Leah. Forgot to wish you and your sister well on her marriage.CustomerRandecker

Ah ok. I was thinking a card and financial gift. Card is absolutely appropriate and considerate.

Keep me posted on Ru's reaction to you tomorrow!

And the wedding was fabulous :) Thank you!

-Leah

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I definitely planned to give her a financial gift but, given the situation and the manner it needs to be delivered to her, a financial gift would be a risk. I hope to give her a gift when the situation is more amiable. Without talking with Ru since the beginning of all this a few weeks ago, I have no clue as to what I will run into tomorrow. Judging from the 1-second look she gave me (looking over her glasses) the last time we were in the same room, she could believe anything. There must have been a reason she stopped asking how I was. Maybe her manager warned her that whatever I told her probably is a lie. Ru is prone to being gullible. Given her manager is her mentor and, I believe a family friend, I would lay odds on whatever her manager tells her, she will believe.I have to admit that the plan on the method of delivering her card bothers me in that it seems too "stalker-esq". But, if I mail it to her, it will be the same as my letter in October.....even if it would take a little while to be sure the unsigned card was from me (probably won't). Stay tuned!
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Leah
My visit today was okay.....better than the last. Ru saw me when I first came in and had a big smile and gave me a finger wave. They have given her more responsibilities. Now, she has to not only work with patients but also is responsible for completing reports so I am a little concerned as I have spent time in the music business and witnessed a number of people on speed.....kind of looks the same. The only eye contact we made was as I was leaving. I stopped by her desk to wish her and her family a good T'giving. She looked up briefly and said, "You too"Whenever I had the chance, I would bring up a question or instance that only she and I would know about. Remembering that the weekend before Labor Day she took her younger brother to college and had to help carry all his stuff up to his room on the 4th floor, I asked if he was home for T'giving. Later, when she was helping a patient next to me with exercises by pulling his leg, I teased her because she had to wrap an end of the strap on this leg around her body for enough leverage. I asked what she was doing and she said that was her invention. Remembering that every time she introduced a new exercise, she called it "progress" I suggested that, if she can't get untangled, she would not have anything to worry about until someone turns the lights off and says, "good night Ru. See you bright and early in the morning" That is progress!She has little or no time to chat and I think that is legit. What I would hope for is 1) more eye contact, and 2) an instance where we can reinstate an emotional connection but with so much work on her plate, there may be a long wait ahead.Another development....her manager, Vani, came up to me and said she thought I looked like I lost weight. I told her that couldn't be because I was wearing two shirts The benefit to me was that, maybe whatever I do, she won't be so inclined to continue Ru's prohibition from working with me going forward.Customer

NIce update. It sounds like you already found opportunities to seek out engagement with her and I hope it was mutually rewarding. It is also a great thing the manager approached you and complimented you. Perhaps an extension of an "olive branch" so to speak. This makes me think that the situation may have felt bigger to you then it actually was in the manager's eyes and this is a good thing because you are by by means a bad person deserving of ill-will.

Keep up the good work,Customer and have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

-Leah

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I wish you and yours a Happy Thanksgivng as well!
Maybe one of the reasons I had a better encounter with Ru than before was that my replacement as her "buddy at work", the new therapist, was not there. Nevertheless, I would certainly appreciate eye contact like before. Whenever I asked her a question, and this was true the last time I came in too, she answered me but looked at someone else. Maybe that was just because she was busy but, to me, it was conspicuous. Still seems a little odd that she stopped inquiring about how I was at the end of October too.so I have to believe that something was contrived My next visit is scheduled for Dec 5....another full two weeks away. One of the worst issues is that, all the other therapists must have been alerted that when I come in, Ru cannot work with me. We'll see what happens then.
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
I hope your Thanksgiving was great! Mine was okay, given the issue I am dealing with.I received the graduation card that I plan to give Ru and I would like your opinion on at least one thing. It will be delivered under her wiper blade either after my next and last 2017 visit on 12/5 or by my associate on 12/6 or 12/7. I wasn't going to sign it but maybe I should. If I don't sign it and it is delivered a few days after my next visit (Ru always seems to know when I am due in next), it may cause some intrigue as to who really did send it (but she will likely know by the verbiage). I plan to add "I understand that you cannot accept gifts so this card will have to do for now" In either case, I don't expect her to confront me about it but, knowing her, she will likely share it with Vani (her manager). I think truth be told, I wish I could throw the gauntlet down and be confronted by her and/or Vani. I have a lot of questions and a lot to say and I don't know how long I can "play act" with the non-communication or no eye contact. If she were to ask me to stop caring about her, I would simply tell her that, of all the people who I have or had highest regard for, man or woman, she was the one person who was the earliest in only 3 or 4 weeks after we met, so she shouldn't count on me throwing in the towel. In order to keep everything in the proper perspective, as far as romance with her goes, I have always told myself that 1) maybe I am too old for her and 2) I am not Indian (as they often find that a criteria although I don't believe that either age nor ethnicity trumps feelings).Do you think I should sign the card or leave everything up to imagination?
Thanks. More to come sooner or later.

HiCustomer I hope you understand that this will be my last reply based on the nature and this site question/answer. If you do wish to keep conversation going and i hope you do, I'd kindly ask you start a new question and consider requesting me by putting "To Leah only" at the beginning.

I think you should sign the card. For one, there is no need to perpetuate a "secret" tone to your relationship at this time. That could prove harmful to Ru and i know that is NOT your intention Also, in the "rules" regarding dual relationships, sending a card is not really considered off-llmits, in my opinion. I think if you write a nice congratulatory/thank you card, that shouldn't be viewed as inappropriate, although it may subsequently keep her boss on guard, IF she chooses to share it with him. And if she does share it with him. I might caution you that I would take this as a sign she is wanting to keep some distance with you. Hope that doesnt sting too much to think about.

Best to you,Customer

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
To Leah Only:Your last response was a little puzzling so I decided to copy your response and insert my questions (in parenthesis & caps) as I go along.HiCustomer I hope you understand that this will be my last reply based on the nature and this site question/answer. If you do wish to keep conversation going and i hope you do, I'd kindly ask you start a new question and consider requesting me by putting "To Leah only" at the beginning. (HOW WILL THIS BE DIFFERENT?)I think you should sign the card. For one, there is no need to perpetuate a "secret" tone to your relationship at this time. That could prove harmful to Ru (HOW COULD THAT BE HARMFUL TO RU? WILL IT APPEAR THAT SHE HAS YET ANOTHER "ADMIRER"? ) and i know that is NOT your intention Also, in the "rules" regarding dual relationships, sending a card is not really considered off-llmits, in my opinion. I think if you write a nice congratulatory/thank you card, that shouldn't be viewed as inappropriate, although it may subsequently keep her boss on guard, IF she chooses to share it with him. (GIVEN THAT SHE HAS SHARED MY PAST COMMUNICATION WITH HER BOSS, IT WOULD SURPRISE ME IF SHE DIDN'T. I DON'T THINK RU HAS MUCH CONFIDENCE IN DEALING WITH THIS ISSUE HERSELF. ALSO THE BOSS MAY HAVE TOLD HER TO ADVISE IF SHE RECEIVES ANYTHING ELSE FROM ME) And if she does share it with him. I might caution you that I would take this as a sign she is wanting to keep some distance with you. Hope that doesnt sting too much to think about.Best to you,Customer(I LOOK FORWARD TO CONTINUING WITH MY QUESTIONS TO YOU AND YOUR RESPONSES. YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL AND I EXPECT TO SCHEDULE A PHONE CONSULTATION WITH YOU AFTER MY NEXT AND LAST 2017 CLINIC APPOINTMENT NEXT WEEK)
Customer

HiCustomer

What I meant was that you start a new question requesting me to answer by putting "To Leah only" at the start of a completely new thread as opposed to this one. Sorry for the confusion. So again, for clarity, these sessions are not meant to be ongoing to this degree as the site is question and answer format. I hope we have succeeded in addressing your original question.

I think hiding a card can be harmful to Ru because it may implicate her in some way for keeping your interest. She has been given clear guidance to steer clear from working with you at this time and your pursuit of her may come off as her having a hand in it. I know that isn't fair to Ru, but your choices could affect the way the situation is seen by her manager. I can tell you from a professional angle that i would not want things like this done outside of my professional setting as it would make me feel as though I had unethically crossed a boundary with a patient or they had misread my kindness for something else.

If you believe strongly she will share it, I am not sure why you would want to put her in that position. The fact that you are doing something that may force Ru to bring it to the attention of her manager calls out to me that it may just not be a good idea. Or at least, it may not be a good idea to do it under the radar. Like I said above, if your wish is just to give her a card noting congrats or well-wishes and is otherwise innocent, then doing this is a professional setting would be better (giving it to her at work). You already know the manager is suspicious, so this is where I would caution you about any behavior that may perpetuate this, such as secretly delivering something to her.

Hope this make sense.

-Leah

Customer reply replied 14 days ago
To Leah Only: I tried to start a new thread to you last night but have no clue as to whether you received it or not. Pleaselet me know if you received it or not.
ThanksCustomerRandecker

HiCustomer you can stop putting 'to Leah only.' That is just when you write a brand new question so I have a chance at it first. Sorry I wasn't clear about that sooner. I am replying on this thread bc customer service locked the last one after I reported the other question upon your mention of concern with payment. Sp apologies if you wondered why I was ignoring you!

Anyway, the encounter sounds like it went really well!! I am so glad she was so receptive and that you got an immediate reply when she thanked you. A good way to leave things until you meet again in a few weeks!

Any special holiday plans?

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Customer reply replied 5 hours ago
I have to learn to be patient! The times spent between my visits to the clinic and seeing Rare usually are filled with a great deal of anxiety fearing a change in how Ru would accept my presence. As I mentioned, yesterday could be considered positive in that Ru did not deliberately avoid me although she still was apparently not allowed to work with me on therapy and did not put herself in a position to have any prolonged conversation with me. Yet her greeting when I arrived and quickly thanking me for the card (when she could have simply not said anything and even turned the card over to Vani) maybe is a sign of softening the "Operation Overkill". The next step for me would be to try to kill that operation completely through talking with Vani and Ru about how nothing negative ever happened when Ru and I worked together.....nothing! And that us working together did not take Ru or anything away from other patients.Actually, I should have learned that Ru's reactions to me come in phases. When she received my letter last October, I thought it was over. I could have sent a blank piece of paper and she would have reacted the way she did....just because I sent her something. 12 days later, when I came back, it was "HiCustomer how've you been?" She seems to be filled with surprises....so far, all positive. There is a long way to go yet but I guess I should learn to be patient.
Customer

Yes indeed. Patience will be important but so too will be moderating your expectations. It seems you have good insight into Ru being hot and cold and I venture to think Vani probably doesn't deserve all the credit for that. So instead of setting yourself up to hope for a reaction you have zero control over, take it for what it is and remind yourself that Ru can be unpredictable and that if you truly want to ride it out hoping for more, you will have to not get to caught up in her moods which may simply be par for the course in your relationship. And with that, consider to yourself if this is the type of response you really want - unpredictable and inconsistent. Yes, Operation Overkill certainly had a lay into things but we just don't know how much. Forecasting that things may change might leave you hanging on when you shouldn't although I know your curiosity and anxiety over the unpredictability may be part of the driving force behind your desire. Simply, it is almost exciting t see what will come of this and as you likely well know, people tend to be easily engaged when pursuing a challenge tat they perceive they cannot easily have.

I also noticed you accepted the answer again and perhaps provide a bonus, too?? thank you so very much :)

-Leah

-Leah

Customer reply replied less than 1 hour ago
I will provide a bonus but they usually offer option amounts and I was waiting for that before I proceed.Customer
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker