Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks at

times. For the most part...
I have generalized anxiety disorder with panic attacks at times. For the most part I have improved a great deal through BCT and other lifestyle changes. I had it terrible after I quit smoking for about 3 months straight and it was the worst it is has ever been. Every day was a day of endless panic this was two years ago. Since then any time I go through a few bad days or a week I am consumed that will happen again. I am going through a bout right now since last Thursday. I did get my period on Friday which always triggers anxiety in PMS to some degree. But now I am ending my period and I just feel off, tired, anxious, dizzy at times but quick spells which i have had during panic attacks. Of course I have myself thinking I am going to feel like this for the next 3 months again. I will say I traveled this week, had a heavy period, and some personal stress all at the same time. I do so well for so long then things like this happen and it makes me feel like it is all over again.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

I am glad you reached out with your concern regarding your history with anxiety disorder/panic disorder. Whenever we are experiencing anxiety it is important to know that even though we feel anxiety very much physically, it actually starts with our thoughts and beliefs either consciously or unconsciously that we are unsafe and not in control. It is important when you start to feel anxiety that you tell yourself that what you are feeling is an innocent symptom of anxiety and can not hurt you. Then give yourself two choices (your brain will read this as you have control, which it needs to know). For example, choices can be if I feel anxiety I can call a friend and talk about it until I feel better or I can leave the house and go for a walk. This can be due to past unresolved trauma and or wounds or current situations that are triggering us. You may want to consider seeing a therapist for 3-6 sessions to explore any underlying causes for your anxiety. And yes there is also a biochemical component that can respond well to medications, a solid exercise routine along with meditation, deep breathing and good nutrition including eliminating caffeine and all stimulants. Does this make sense and have you tried some of these things? Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is the time of the year two years ago that I quit smoking when i went Into the worst three months of panic and depression. Could that be triggering me right now? I do not want to take meds but i find Therapy, exercise, eating well, and relaxation help. I just get scared that a couple bad days are going to turn into my worst experience again it’s like i cant Just have a bad week and that be that.

Yes, absolutely it could be triggering you and no it will not be the same this time, you are not going through nicotine withdrawal now which comes with anxiety for many people. This will pass now, just tell yourself you are well and safe.

Breathe in to the count of 10 I am well and breathe out I let go of worry tot he count of 10.

Relax, warm baths and celebrate your health and wellness as a result of quitting! You did it!!!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you recommend any natural calming vitamins i can Add to my daily routine

Yes, the B complex vitamins are excellent for stabilizing moods and stress. You may also want to purchase one of the Anxiety Workbooks that will tech you techniques and strategies that may add to what you already do. You can buy online through Amazon or through Banes and Noble. I must go now for one hour to work with one of my patients, but wish you all the best. Please let me know if I can help any further. I would appreciate you taking a moment to rate my service to you if you are satisfied. :^) Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You are welcome! Thank you!

Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC