Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My husband and I are in our mid 50’s and recently bought a…

Customer Question
My husband and I are...
My husband and I are in our mid 50’s and recently bought a RV and will be roaming the US for the next year. I see a psychiatrist every 3 months for treatment for pain & depression (cymbalta) and ambien. Do you know of a way to schedule appointments in different states? I am able to payout of pocket for the doctors appointments and meds.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 2 days by:
11/16/2017
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 5 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is ***** ***** I greatly apologize for the delay. Sounds like an amazing time!! Unfortunately, I can't see how you will be able to see new doctors around the country as a safe bet on maintaining these prescriptions. Scheduling with new doctors can be hard enough and while the Cymbalta is probably not a huge concern for most docs to write, they may be hesitant to write for the Ambien not knowing your history.

I would suggest you and your psychiatrist come up with a plan for keeping the prescriptions going , even if he requires you to "check-in" on the phone every few months. Since neither Ambien nor Cymbalta are controlled substances, there should not be issues filling your doctor's script in other states, although sometimes states vary on whether or not you can fill out-of state. So ideally, your doctor could just write the script (as a dispense quantity to cover you for 3 months at a time) every few months as he is now and send it to the pharmacy you ask him to, or even your same local pharmacy. If he keeps sending it locally which may be easier for him, you can enter any pharmacy and ask them to transfer the prescription/refills from your local pharmacy to them and they can fill it. The only pitfall here would be to make sure you doc is only writing the script for three months at a time so when you transfer it pharmacy to pharmacy, you only ever do the single refill transfer from your local one to the one you are at. I would just worry you would lose track of where the prescription was if you transferred more than a 3 months supply (or one refill).

For instance , your current doc sends a 3 month supply (written to dispense 3 months) to your local Walgreens. You end up in Arizona at a CVS. You can walk in the CVS, ask them to contact yur local Walgreens to transfer the prescription to them, and they should be able to fill it without problem.

If you do this and plan to pay cash, make sure to check for coupons here... https://www.goodrx.com/. You could save a ton out of pocket and could select the pharmacy based on the price look-up tool showing you the cheapest option around based on zip.

I hope this helps!

-Leah

Hi, just checking back since this question remains open since it is unrated. Can I help further?

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker