Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I’m currently going through withdrawal from benzos. I was on…

Customer Question
I’m currently going through withdrawal...
I’m currently going through withdrawal from benzos. I was on Xanax for 3 years and my psychiatrist changed me to Valium 4 months ago because I was overtaking my Xanax. To make a long story short, i went into a mental health inpatient hospital. I was there for a week, in that week the nurses dispensed me Valium at 5mg (i had been on 10mg before) twice a day. One in the morning and then once at night. After that week i joined their outpatient program, I was in the program for two week. the nurse practitioner there had kept me on Valium. It was still at 5 mg. After the first week she told me to only take it when i really needed it. That week i started going through withdrawal but, it was only irritability, headaches and sleeping being disturbed. I’m currently in my second week and my symptoms have sky rocketed. Body aches. Headache, tremors in my hands, restless legs and restlessness in general, irritability, anxiety, etc. I’m taking gabapentin, lamotrigen, chloromazine and mirtazapine. Right now the symptoms are really bad, I did research and I know this is normal when you have the physical dependence. I was wondering if i did take one of the Valium that i have would that put me back to the beginning and i would start withdrawal from the beginning all over again?I don’t want to fall back into the habit but i also believe that the nurse practitioner had not tapered me in the best way ( i may be wrong ). I just want the withdrawal to not be this bad. So I was wondering about my question if it is okay to take one (basically it would be me taking it as needed).
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mental Health
I need an answer, please. I am going through this now and have no idea what to do.
11/12/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site

Please clarify some of my queries.

1) Were you directly asked from taking 5 mg valium twice a day to taking it on prn basis that is as per need basis ? Is this correct ?

2) Do you ahve 5 mg tablets of valium and can the tablet be broken into half ?

I will get back to you once you reply to my queries.

Regards

to both questions. Though she wanted me to go off Valium completely at the end of last week.
Thanks for the inputs.
Being a Psychiatrist I never suggest my patients to quit the psychotropic medications cold turkey as this may result in withdrawal symptoms.
So I suggest that you get back to taking 5 mg of Valium at night for a week after which reduce it to half tablet ( i.e, 2.5 mg ) and take this for 1 week and after that take the 2.5 mg on alternate days for next 1 week and then stop the drug completely by relegating its use only to prn basis that is as and when needed basis.
I hope this makes sense to you and gives you some perspective.
Wish you all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist