Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My 19 year old son had a panic attack just over two weeks…

Customer Question
Hi, my 19 year...

Hi, my 19 year old son had a panic attack just over two weeks ago and was taken to the ER. Following that he was prescribed several medicines in short period of time. One of the medications is risperidone at night for insomnia but this is a bi polar medicine. Why would this be prescribed for anxiety?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

This was his first incident, had never been treated for this or any other mental condition

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mental Health
11/10/2017
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 5 months ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
Well, if he has been formally diagnosed with panic attacks then risperidone should not be used on a regular basis since it is an anti psychotic medication used for psychotic disorders. But yes at that time of panic attack risperidone might have been used for calming effect and sedation but that was about it , it should not have been used on a regular basis.
I hope this makes sense.
Wish your son all the best.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist