Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I grew up with parents who subjected me to numerous traumas…

Customer Question
I grew up with...

I grew up with parents who subjected me to numerous traumas and have been diagnosed with an attachment disorder. While I was in psychotherapy I also found out that I have terminal cancer. I have been in a relationship for almost 40 years but my partner, who is my caregiver seems to always be angry with me. I have constant pain and feel sad most of the time and I think he is getting burned out. My therapist has not been able to help me cope, even after almost three years. She does tell me she loves me and we talk about G-d a lot. I think of her often and when I am with her I feel better, but I don’t feel we are making progress.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I have had the pain since 2015. It is caused by the cancer. My pain medication makes it somewhat better. It is due to the cancer having damaged my bones.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

I had a nervous breakdown in college when I was 19.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mental Health
11/7/2017
Mental Health Professional: John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC) replied 6 months ago
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Hello, my name is John. Please give me a moment to check youquestion. I will get back with you ASAP.
Please cancel the order. I was on a different site and thought I was talking to a osychilogist, not Just An Answer.Thank you.
No, please just cancel the order. A box popped up while I was on a different site.
I thought I was consulting the psychologist on that site.
I am so sorry to hear this. I’m not sure what your therapist has shared with you, but I do know it can be very difficult to counsel someone who has a terminal illness. The counselor can easily get caught up in the loss him/her self.I will share this with you. There are several stages a person goes through when they receive such news. It takes time to work through this process. I figure you are going through these stages, but I also figure your caregiver is working through them as well...
This was a mistake, and I asked you to cancel my order.Thank you anyway.
The first stage is often Denial or Shock. The person just cannot accept the reality of the pending loss to the point they ignore or deny it.People often to from denial to anger. They are angry with the victim, Family, dovtkrs, or self.Then, they often go into the bargaining stage. Here they try to change the inevitable. They say, take me insteadThe last stage before acceptance is anger. They blame everybody for the loss.Please understand, these stages are all part of avoidance, avoiding the final acceptance.Actually that is the reason for the whole process. Each stage is just a ploy to avoid accepting the loss.The final stage is acceptance. You go through every thing to get this point.
I say all this to help you understand your caretaker. She is hurting too. Don’t shut her out. You need each other during this time.
John-Michaels
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)